Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reports that Bob Borchers, Apple's senior director of worldwide product marketing for the iPhone, has left the company to become a general partner at venture capital firm Opus Capital.
Borchers, 43, had been at Apple since 2004 working on products such as the iPod and iPhone and had even appeared in some company videos about the iPhone. A former executive at Nokia and Nike, he said working at Apple was "amazing" but that the venture capitalists at Opus offered him an opportunity to join and make investments in mobile technologies.
Borchers gained some fame among Apple fans as the host of the guided tour video for the original iPhone back in 2007.

Article Link: iPhone Marketing Director Leaves Apple for Venture Capital Firm

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I miss Bob. I loved how he did the Tours for the iPhone and iPhone 3G. Now we have all these Retail Store employees doing the tours. The new one for the iPhone 3GS is poorly done. They need to make a long version like the Original iPhone one had explaining everything.

Bob could have at least done the iPhone 3GS tour before he left.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Why would he limit himself to just "mobile technology investments" or am I missing something?:confused::confused::confused:

I wouldn't call mobile technology limiting. Mobile is not only phones and mobile is where computing is moving. Laptops outselling desktops shows that.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Wow. He was my favorite person to do tour videos, apart from John and Hannah. Well, good luck to him.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I liked his calm, relaxing video style, although he waved his hands a bit too much.

Good luck in your new job, Mr. Borchers.

I guess that leaves a job opening at Apple, but I've already got too many jobs, so I'll skip this one.

Xibalba

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Indiana, USA
It's all about the Benjamins.

actually while there may be a potential salary increase, most executives at this level move companies often once they feel they have accomplished their goals - and are excited for new and more stimulating challenges.

this happens all the time among the big companies...

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Stupid. He was like a perfect Apple drone in those videos. Being an Apple enthusiast, that's a douchy move IMO. :rolleyes:

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
was hoping it was Phil

When I saw "marketing director leaves Apple" -- I hoped it would be Phil Schiller leaving. Then when I saw it was the iPhone Director, my heart sank. We can hope.

Look. I've got nothing personal against Phil -- but he's the one who offered the inane reason why Apple is not offering the matte screen on Macs - "our customers love glossy screens".

Maybe if Phil Schiller were to leave Apple, we'd get back the matte screens for all the MacBook Pro's and the iMac.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
When I saw "marketing director leaves Apple" -- I hoped it would be Phil Schiller leaving. Then when I saw it was the iPhone Director, my heart sank. We can hope.

Look. I've got nothing personal against Phil -- but he's the one who offered the inane reason why Apple is not offering the matte screen on Macs - "our customers love glossy screens".

Maybe if Phil Schiller were to leave Apple, we'd get back the matte screens for all the MacBook Pro's and the iMac.

I'm not so sure.

The bloke with the black mock turtleneck gave an equally lame excuse when they dropped FireWire from the MacBook. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.