Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SylentSpeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Problem came back
Normally, I charge my battery up to 99%, then I run the Macbook off the battery until the charge is around 20-25% (or whenever the battery charge icon turns red). This cycle is repeated.

I don't perform as many battery calibrations as I should at the end of each month. I've done at least 2 in the past 3 months.

According to coconutBattery, my Macbook (white, refurbished) is 7 months old and has 205 charge cycles.
Just today, I checked the current capacity to be 94% (4225 mAh). Sometime later, I ran coconutBattery again and to my surprise the capacity is now at 62% (3132 mAh).

Something similar to this happened where my capacity dipped down to 90% and later went back up to the normal 95%.

Did I kill the battery?
Are 205 charge cycles too many at this age?

And does anyone have a particular method to charging their Macbook to prolong battery life/capacity?

I also read this thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/532346/) concerning AppleCare's policy on the battery.
I have not purchased AppleCare yet since my 1 year warranty hasn't ran out yet.
I take very good care of my Macbook and I'm disappointed to see that the battery has deteriorated so quickly.

Could it possibly be some issue with the PRAM/NVRAM that I may not be aware of?

I'm apologize for all of the questions but I would appreciate it if someone could explain the situation. Thanks for your help in advance.

What_swrongwiththebattery.jpg

Problem came back

SylentSpeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
You didn't kill the battery, it's just some sort of weird bug in the reporting software. If you calibrate it on a semiregular basis, that's the best way to maximize the life of your battery.

Okay thanks. You're right about that. I disconnected it from the power outlet and removed the battery and then I held down the power button to try and "reset" it. After I started up coconutBattery, it's reading 94% capacity again, so all's well.

SylentSpeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
This must be annoying but the problem is back. The capacity of the battery is back to 63%.
The day after the problem was initially resolved, the battery was back at its 94% capacity. I decided to start charging it more and leaving it on the power adapter to sit at 100% charge for a while. Once I removed it, I checked coconutBattery just in case the problem came back, and it did. I also checked System Profiler and it reads out basically the same thing.
SystemProfiler-Battery.jpg

I've already reset the SMC by unplugging the power adapter and removing the battery and then pressing the power button for five seconds.
I also reset the PRAM by holding down command + option + p + r.
When those two didn't work, I decided to recalibrate the battery.
The battery charge went down much quicker than I expected, so I'm beginning to suspect something is wrong with the battery.

coconutBattery265-1.jpg

What else should I do?

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I had the same problem with my battery. I had 99% health then bam, was at 60%. I re-calibrated and everything and the battery went back up to 95%. I thought it was fine. Then when I disconnected, it went down to 22% and it never came back up. My computer has AppleCare and the battery was over a year old with 88 cycles. I called AppleCare and they replaced it immediately with a new one. Stuff like this happens, the cell in battery just died. I would call you should be fine, you are within the first year still and have less than 300 cycles.

SylentSpeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Okay, thanks.
I'm still covered by the one-year warranty. Do you think they'll replace my battery if I walk into the Apple Store and explain this?
I plan on buying Apple Care once it nears 12 months of ownership.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Okay, thanks.
I'm still covered by the one-year warranty. Do you think they'll replace my battery if I walk into the Apple Store and explain this?
I plan on buying Apple Care once it nears 12 months of ownership.

Make an appointment for a Genius at your Apple store. You should bring your laptop too just to show them. They will replace it on the spot. If you had AppleCare, you could call and they would overnight everything to you, which is a huge plus since I am 1 hour from an Apple store, and plus I just hate going to them...best of luck.

SylentSpeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Make an appointment for a Genius at your Apple store. You should bring your laptop too just to show them. They will replace it on the spot. If you had AppleCare, you could call and they would overnight everything to you, which is a huge plus since I am 1 hour from an Apple store, and plus I just hate going to them...best of luck.

Yeah, I live pretty far from the nearest one. Oh well. Thanks again for your trouble, I appreciate your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.