Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jun 26, 2009, 05:07 PM   #1
Schraiber
macrumors member

"Spotlights" at bottom of the screen

I just took my brand new MBP around with me, leaving it unplugged for a while and when I got back and plugged it back in, the screen spent some time readjusting to the light and now I have little "spotlights" down at the bottom... I assume that these are the LED lighting up the screen from the bottom? Regardless, it looks freaking horrible. I tried to search for this issue but I didn't really know what to search for, so if someone has covered this already please let me know. I won't really have access to a car for a while starting in a few days, so if this something that I should fix by a return to the apple store, I'd like to know ASAP
Schraiber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 05:20 PM   #2
colmaclean
macrumors 68000

This one was reported a while ago. Called the "stage light effect" among other things....

I've noticed it in passing on my MBP, but have failed to repeat consistently.
colmaclean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 05:42 PM   #3
Jottle
macrumors 6502

Unless you're seeing these spotlights under all viewing conditions, they should only be visible when the screen is turned up most of the way and on dark (usually black) backgrounds. Try watching a dvd on your laptop with the screen turned up. You'll probably be able to see the spotlights in a dark room under normal viewing conditions. Unfortunately, this is how these screens use the led backlights. All of the led screens will show this spotlighting to a certain extent.

See this link: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...9&postcount=10 <----this is normal backlight bleed on the unibody mbp's

See the rest of the thread here... click

If you are seeing these spotlights under normal use in all brightness conditions, then it's a defect that should be addressed. People will probably reply to this thread saying spotlights are defects under any condition blah blah and that their mbp doesn't have them. It's BS. The truth is you can go into any apple store and check out all the display models. They'll exhibit this slight spotlighting effect under the conditions I describe above. However, the spotlights shouldn't be noticeable during regular use.

Last edited by Jottle; Jun 26, 2009 at 05:48 PM.
Jottle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 05:56 PM   #4
Schraiber
macrumors member

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, I am operating under half brightness right now and they are definitely visible. Looks like I have a defect...

Back to the Apple Store for me...
Schraiber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 06:40 PM   #5
w00t951
macrumors 68000

Mine doesn't show any spotlights, and I am glad.
w00t951 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 06:42 PM   #6
Jottle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t951 View Post
Mine doesn't show any spotlights, and I am glad.
See my post above. Like I said. Some people see zero spotlights on theirs. This is extremely rare.
Jottle is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro