Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jun 27, 2009, 05:38 AM   #1
dryjoy
macrumors regular

Experience of new mac + logic

Hello. I have posted around here a few times, as I was looking to upgrade my system and get Logic 8. I have now done so, and I am so pleased I did.
I have come from a 9 year old G4 with OS9 + Logic Platinum 4.7 + MOTU 2408 MKII, which I have used from new. A great system in it's own, old fashioned way for audio recording, but I was getting into using more soft synths etc., and the only way I could do the sorts of things I wanted to was by running Logic 5 on my Dell laptop, and doing bits and bobs on there. But the laptop was not powerful enough to play back many tracks, so it was a case of playing a couple of parts at a time to a stereo mix of whatever I had done on the Mac and bouncing them to audio and taking them back to the Mac. It was getting really tiring and was a total workflow killer. I did my sampling with an S3000 connected to the G4 via SCSI, using MESA II to store & edit samples and programmes, which was also getting long in the tooth.
Anyway, although I was looking forward to getting a Mac Pro and Logic 8, I was worried that I had been so far from the cutting edge for so long I would face a steep learning curve, but I have been so pleasantly surprised by how I was immediately able to just start doing stuff on Logic 8, yet enjoying all the new (new to me, at least) toys. I love the new simplified layout in Logic, yet it still feels like the same programme to me. And everything I got to know about the Environment etc. in Logic 4.7 (I know that software backwards after all this time) is still there if required. I haven't even made a dent on the resources of the Mac Pro yet, but that's what I wanted - something that will last me a long time.
I know this is not a particularly useful post really, but I am so pleased I went for it that I wanted to share my experience with like minded folk. Thanks to anyone who gave me advice a few months back when I was trying to decide what to get.
dryjoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:03 AM   #2
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68000

I just bought a MBP and I've been very happy with how easy it is to work out of the box. I'm using Logic Studio with a Duet as the interface. Yesterday I picked up a Yamaha KX8 to use as a controller (it just got pricedropped - 88 keys, graded-weighted) and I also set up my V-Drums to use as a controller for drum patches. End result was me ignoring my girlfriend

Before this MBP rig, I was always a standalone hardware guy. I have an MPC and a Roland MV8800 that I used to sample/sequence/mix/master. I also used a Korg Multitrack way back in the day for recording/mixing. Most I ever messed with on the PC was FL Studio and this is my first Mac. So many of my friends that make music are Mac converts who use Logic so I figured I'd give it a try.

So I'm as happy as you are. Right now I just wanna leave work, go home, and make music
Liquorpuki is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio