Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
Hi, I recently purchased an Apple IIgs for dirt-cheap from eBay. I came with the computer, monitor, a 5.25'' disc drive, and a 3.5'' disc drive. When I turn the Computer on, it reads in white letters on a blue screen "check boot device" and remains there. I don't have a discs and there is no hard disc for the computer to boot to. Is there any way I can use the two floppy disc drives to boot the IIgs? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. :apple:

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
Thanks for the fast response. I can usually mount images to floppy with disc copy in OS 8.5. Do you think i can find an image for AppleProDOS to mount to a 3.5'' 800k disc? Or something to that effect? thanks

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
There were high-density floppy drives available for the IIgs but very few people ever had one. The IIgs uses 3.5" double-density floppies formatted in ProDOS. You can use an older Mac running System 7.1 to 7.6 & a built-in floppy drive to create the disks. OS 8 might be able to format ProDOS, but I can't remember. USB floppy drives can't handle double-density disks, only HD floppies.

I keep my old PowerBook 1400cs around to access old floppies, either DD or HD. I also still have my IIgs. If you need some help getting the disks created, PM me.

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
The easiest method would be to download the IIGS system disks from the link I posted above and use Disk Copy to write the image to a floppy.

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
probably. what do i use to decompress the files? i have downloaded the images and tried to use stuffit but it wont decompress them. thanks

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
probably. what do i use to decompress the files? i have downloaded the images and tried to use stuffit but it wont decompress them. thanks

You shouldn't need to decompress or mount them. As was previously suggested, use Disk Copy on an older Mac to make the floppy. Very similar to using Disk Utility to make a CD/DVD from a disk image.

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
I see what you mean, however, disk copy wont make the floppy from the images that i have. it just gives an error message and wont mount, save, or write the image and then it freezes up disk copy. I wonder if im doing something wrong. probably, haha.

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
What extension do the files have? The *.bin files should extract to *.sea files which are actually applications (self-extracting archives). You should be able to just double click this in a Mac OS 9 (or earlier) environment and then you should end up with a *.img file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.