Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 27, 2009, 04:33 PM   #1
Keebler
macrumors 68030

No surround when playing HD movie on ATV?

Hi Folks,

I have my ATV connected via HDMI to my Sony receiver (http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...40n32100n46020)

The receiver is connected to my Panny 50".

The problem: no surround sound (nothing from rear speakers) when playing rented HD movies from Itunes. Unless I'm wrong (possible?), these movies should be 5.1 right?

My blue 'multi-channel decoding' light is all lit up, the wee diagram shows all 5 speakers (I don't have 7.1), but nothing comes out of the speakers.

Now here's the kicker - when the ATV comes on (before playing a movie), I get sound from all the speakers, but as soon as I play a movie (in this case "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" - nada from the rears.

This has happened for a few other HD movies - in fact, not one plays sound from the rears.

Any thoughts? I've looked through the receiver manual and everything seems bang on.

Cheers,
keebler
Keebler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 02:34 PM   #2
Keebler
macrumors 68030

Bumpity bump bump bump?
Old Jul 2, 2009, 03:17 PM   #3
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Not sure...

But sometimes the receiver "detects" Dolby Digital sound, and light up all 5.1 speakers, but it can be that only F-L and F-R are used (happens with HDTV a lot too).

But, I you reboot the TV, and when you see the cool animation, do you hear the full surround then (it is short, but noticeable..)?
Old Jul 2, 2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Keebler
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsRgr8 View Post
Not sure...

But sometimes the receiver "detects" Dolby Digital sound, and light up all 5.1 speakers, but it can be that only F-L and F-R are used (happens with HDTV a lot too).

But, I you reboot the TV, and when you see the cool animation, do you hear the full surround then (it is short, but noticeable..)?
thanks! I did reboot, but I think the simplest thing I did was ensure my subwoofer was on. Believe it or not, I think that was causing the lack of 5.1. not sure why, but i just rented inkheart for the kids and it sounded fine.

Thanks!
Keebler
Old Jul 2, 2009, 03:53 PM   #5
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Cool!

Have fun!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater