Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Willaay
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Willaay Send a message via MSN to Willaay
iBook G4 12" Airport Info not found

Hey all,
I bought an iBook G4 from my friend for $10. It needed a new inverter board, reed switch, and battery. I've replaced them all successfully, and the computer works great!

Only problem is, the airport information can't be found. I know its in there because I've disconnected it, reconnected it, reseated it, and it worked before.

I can open system profiler, and when I click airport card, it says no information found.

I'm on the internet via an ethernet cable, and its a pain in the butt! Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Should I go ahead and order a new card?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:35 AM   #2
noodle654
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willaay View Post
Hey all,
I bought an iBook G4 from my friend for $10. It needed a new inverter board, reed switch, and battery. I've replaced them all successfully, and the computer works great!

Only problem is, the airport information can't be found. I know its in there because I've disconnected it, reconnected it, reseated it, and it worked before.

I can open system profiler, and when I click airport card, it says no information found.

I'm on the internet via an ethernet cable, and its a pain in the butt! Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Should I go ahead and order a new card?
I'm thinking that the card might be the problem. If it is a G4 it would have Airport Extreme. I would run AppleHardware Test, it tests the Airport card.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Willaay
macrumors newbie

I don't have any of the original CD's, and the CD drive is messed up.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:29 PM   #4
NewMacbookPlz
macrumors 68040

You may be able to download the drivers/software from support.apple.com

As for the physical aspect, are you sure you've got the card in all the way? On my G4 iBook it needed quite a good push to get it in straight and fully seated.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 01:15 PM   #5
Willaay
macrumors newbie

Yeah its in. I ordered a new one, just to see. It was only $18. Thanks eBay.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 03:48 PM   #6
4JNA
macrumors 68000

trying another card, espically for $18 is a really good idea. i fix/support lots of ibooks, and another thought is that the socket that the card snaps into is broken. it is a tall stand-off that is soldered on the logic board, and i've seen several that get enough use (plug/unplug/plug, etc) that they finally break a trace or two and the card is no longer seen or functional. no easy fix unless you can handle surface mount/solder trace repair. if that is the case, get a cheap usb wifi dongle and that would get you back to work for $20-30 depending on where you find one.

the other thing i would mention is that you can download the hardware test cd images from apple. with a messed up drive, you will need an external to burn the image to cd, and then boot the laptop from the cd (PPC note: it MUST be a firewire external drive to be bootable). link is HERE. best of luck.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:16 PM   #7
Willaay
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help! I'll let you know how it goes.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs