Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jun 28, 2009, 02:01 PM   #1
uaecasher
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to uaecasher Send a message via MSN to uaecasher Send a message via Yahoo to uaecasher
Can I use Mac OS X Server as Cpanel

hello,

Can I use Mac OS X server as (Web Hosting Management) software, to host websites?

and what control panel will my clients have?

thank you
uaecasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 01:47 AM   #2
TK2K
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaecasher View Post
hello,

Can I use Mac OS X server as (Web Hosting Management) software, to host websites?

thank you
very generic question, can you give us some more details on what software you will be running?
TK2K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 01:57 AM   #3
Guiyon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yes, you can host LAMP-based sites using Mac OS X server.

Quote:
None. You will need to purchase and/or download one and install it. Since Apple has a tendency to do thing their own way with regards to the various configuration files, you may be better off using a CentOS, Red Hat, Ubuntu, Debian or, if you'd prefer, FreeBSD based distro as these tend to have much better support with the various control panels; one of the above is a requirement if you wish to purchase CPanel or Plesk. It's a similar story with other admin panels such as Virtualmin: Mac OS X is rated as a "Grade N" platform which means the installer will not work BUT if you have to ability to manually configure things correctly it should work fine.

For my personal server I run Virtualmin GPL on a CentOS 5.3 install.

Last edited by Guiyon; Jun 30, 2009 at 01:24 PM.
Guiyon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:59 PM   #4
uaecasher
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to uaecasher Send a message via MSN to uaecasher Send a message via Yahoo to uaecasher
thanks for the info
uaecasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking