Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elfty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Hi, I have a strange situation where I am on a sprint family plan for area X and am trying to get on my wife's plan in area Y. I want to keep my old sprint number and port it over to AT&T. We went to the Apple store and tried to port the number over with no sucess. They said it was because my wife's account was in a different area from my sprint account Does anyone have any ideas? Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
-elfty

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
Hi, I have a strange situation where I am on a sprint family plan for area X and am trying to get on my wife's plan in area Y. I want to keep my old sprint number and port it over to AT&T. We went to the Apple store and tried to port the number over with no sucess. They said it was because my wife's account was in a different area from my sprint account Does anyone have any ideas? Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
-elfty
If you want to port a number that's from a different area than your current address, then when you do the setup you need to check a box saying that your "usage address" will be different than your "billing address." Then, enter a usage address that matches the area code of the number you want to port (perhaps your wife or family's address).

elfty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
If you want to port a number that's from a different area than your current address, then when you do the setup you need to check a box saying that your "usage address" will be different than your "billing address." Then, enter a usage address that matches the area code of the number you want to port (perhaps your wife or family's address).

Do I need to tell the AT&T rep to do this, or is this something I do when I get the phone? (I just ordered the phone through AT&T and will get it in a week or so).

Thanks for your help

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I had this same problem. In order to port our numbers from a Sprint family plan, we all had to be in the same area code. But, from what I've read on here, your situation can be done. You just have to be persistent because they'll tell you they can't do it at first.

Stunod7

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2008
I didn't think you could port numbers outside of area codes, regardless of the situation. Obviously you can physically take a number to a different region but I did not think porting would work.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I didn't switch from Sprint, but rather from T-Mobile:

I live in NE, but my t-mobile area code was MA since I used to live there.

When I went to http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/ I entered my billing address as my current NE address but then checked a box saying the phone would be used elsewhere and then I entered my old address in MA, this allowed me to port over my MA area code to AT&T despite living in NE.

elfty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Have any of you tried ADDING a line to someone's account that is in a different area? When I went to the apple link->add new line it says to go straight to an apple representative. Is it possible to change my wife's account so its the same area as my sprint phone number to trick the system?

thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.