Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTA60288

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Henderson, Nevada
I have a fifth gen iPod video, and its hold switch just doesn't work anymore? The iPod is very old. Does that have anything to do with it? Will Apple offer me any help with this? Thanks in advance.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
What's up with the hold switch? Does it feel "loose"? Like when you move it backwards and forwards there isn't the feeling of the switch moving?

Or has it sunk into the casing?

I've seen both these things on friends' iPods. When it had sunk into the casing a screw had come loose, that was easy to fix.

If the hold switch feels "loose" then that's more interesting. It means the internal switch is not longer properly fitted into the external button on the top of the iPod. Therefore, when you slide the external button (ie the hold switch) the internal switch is not moved, and nothing happens. (it's hard to explain, so I hope that was clear)

If that's the case then find a video of how to open the iPod (try one of the replacing headphone jack videos online - the headphone jack and hold switch are attached - it'll show you how everything in that part of the iPod is connected and how to get to it)

From there you're pretty much on your own. It's easy to unscrew various parts that make up the hold switch. What has probably happened is that the internal switch has become loose and needs to be glued (I used double sided tape) back into place. (it's glued to a piece of plastic, then the external button slots in above it meaning that when you move the button, the switch is moved as well). If the switch is not properly stuck down then it becomes loose and does not slot in properly below the external button and it isn't triggered when you move the external button

It's not a complicated mechanism, you'll be able to figure it out.

If the hold isn't sunk in and doesn't feel "loose" then it could be that the switch itself has bit the dust and needs to be replaced. For that you'd need to order a replacement headphone jack and hold switch and replace them both.

Apple won't help you as you're a long way out of warranty. If this all sounds too daunting websites like ifixipodsfast.com will be able to do any of those repairs for you - and I should say they are very fiddly repairs, you'll need a lot of patience. (I use ifixipodsfast.com for parts, and so far they've always been great) It'll be cheaper to repair than to buy a new iPod.

JTA60288

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Henderson, Nevada
What's up with the hold switch? Does it feel "loose"? Like when you move it backwards and forwards there isn't the feeling of the switch moving?

Or has it sunk into the casing?

I've seen both these things on friends' iPods. When it had sunk into the casing a screw had come loose, that was easy to fix.

If the hold switch feels "loose" then that's more interesting. It means the internal switch is not longer properly fitted into the external button on the top of the iPod. Therefore, when you slide the external button (ie the hold switch) the internal switch is not moved, and nothing happens. (it's hard to explain, so I hope that was clear)

If that's the case then find a video of how to open the iPod (try one of the replacing headphone jack videos online - the headphone jack and hold switch are attached - it'll show you how everything in that part of the iPod is connected and how to get to it)

From there you're pretty much on your own. It's easy to unscrew various parts that make up the hold switch. What has probably happened is that the internal switch has become loose and needs to be glued (I used double sided tape) back into place. (it's glued to a piece of plastic, then the external button slots in above it meaning that when you move the button, the switch is moved as well). If the switch is not properly stuck down then it becomes loose and does not slot in properly below the external button and it isn't triggered when you move the external button

It's not a complicated mechanism, you'll be able to figure it out.

If the hold isn't sunk in and doesn't feel "loose" then it could be that the switch itself has bit the dust and needs to be replaced. For that you'd need to order a replacement headphone jack and hold switch and replace them both.

Apple won't help you as you're a long way out of warranty. If this all sounds too daunting websites like ifixipodsfast.com will be able to do any of those repairs for you - and I should say they are very fiddly repairs, you'll need a lot of patience. (I use ifixipodsfast.com for parts, and so far they've always been great) It'll be cheaper to repair than to buy a new iPod.

Well, the switch feels completely normal. It just isn't functional. I think I'm just going to open the iPod and fix the problem myself, like you suggested. Thanks for all your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.