Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:31 AM   #1
linuxjuicer
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to linuxjuicer
Wink iBook G4 14" Tablet (need help)

Where to start? ...

Hello all MacRumors Forum readers! I've been reading here a long time and appreciate this community very much Bless u all for helping me get rid of my crave for smashing my hardware and curing my forehead of key imprints :P You're all Jedi in my book!

So here's the pitch:

I just bought my new HP Dv3000 and am VERY satisfied with it's performance so far, but It's predecessor, my iBook G4 14" is now collecting dust

I tried to sell it but found it's not worth the $ you can get for them. I love UNIX based OS X and wouldn't trade it for the world!

So I had an idea; why not turn it into a tablet i can use it as a sketchpad and remote control to my other systems! I was thinking a unibody as opposed to a swivel screen which can be very unstable

I was dreaming of something like this:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...es_photos.html

I have also seen other pictures a while back and can't find them anymore but i think some other 3rd party sells them too, but they are all so expensive and Intel based >_< PowerPC is they only way to mac!

So this is the plan:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Take it apart - done this many times before while installing bluetooth, new HDD, and replacing Logic Board when i fried it so i have a good idea of what's inside

* trash keyboard, touchpad, top case, and anything hangin around. for sale soon if you need some parts

* Design and commission some kind of stainless steel / aluminum / alloy case.
PLEASE, IF ANYONE IS/KNOWS A PRECISION METALWORKER I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU! CNC WORKERS?

* Install touchscreen onto LCD. I hear Wacom screens are they way to go because of caompatibility issues with OS X softwares such as InkWell, etc. also looked into Troll touch screens but are very pricey and they don't come in 14". Would love to know what u guys have to link about 14" touchscreens. do they even make wacom 14" screens that could be added?

* Stylus - I would love to do something like what they did with the tablet in the link above ^ but i don't like the bulk of that stylus they use maybe theres a sleeker one out there with the "right click" ability?

* Camera - I would love to (especially with Skype) but it's too soon to tell :P can you even buy them seperately? maybe use and old cameraphone and hack it to USB or something...

* Infrared remote - one thing i envy about the Intel macs :| I hate Jumping out of bed in the middle of the night to turn the DVD menu looping music off
Are these sold seperately? or should i just hack that from something else? ideas?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's the gist of it. please let me hear your questions or comments. Love to hear from you, or even better receive help from you If anybody out there has don this before or knows someone that has done this before i would love to chat drop an e-mail or comment. thanks, love u guys! peace!

Last edited by linuxjuicer; Jun 30, 2009 at 11:43 PM.
linuxjuicer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:28 AM   #2
brendu
macrumors 68000

very ambitious... i hope everything works out for you. regarding the remote, if all you would use it for is while you are at home, then this solution might work for you. If you wanted to have something installed into your modbookg4 then im not sure if this could help... might be a good place to start though...

http://twistedmelon.com/mira/
brendu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:53 AM   #3
patrixl
macrumors regular

http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack...-a-mac-tablet/
patrixl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:18 PM   #4
linuxjuicer
macrumors newbie

links

thanks for the links the infrared remote looks very hackable/integrateable to a tablet. Also, I sent an e-mail to the axiotron guys to see if they will convert my ibook, hope to hear from them soon. but for some reason the only information i see are about intel macs

anyways, i'll update as soon as i hear from them
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:40 PM   #5
linuxjuicer
macrumors newbie

More modbook information

just scrolling through their site some more and found a few tidbits that could be of help to anyone also looking to mod their ibook/macbook:

"Axiotron Modservice starts at just $1,249 a fraction of the cost of a brand new Modbook."

^^^alot more $ than I was planning on spending

"Supported systems:

* 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo model (introduced Jan. 2009) - more info

* 2.1 - 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo models (introduced Feb. 2008) - more info

* 2.0 - 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo models (introduced Nov. 2007) - more info

* 2.0 - 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo models (introduced May 2007) - more info

* 1.83 - 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo models (introduced Nov. 2006) - more info

* NOW SUPPORTED! 1.83 - 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo models (introduced May 2006) - more info"

WEAK SAUCE! wtf about PPC!?!

MODBOOK WARRANTY:

"all Axiotron Modbook and Modbook Pro solutions come complete with an Axiotron one (1) year limited manufacturer warranty covering:

* the Axiotron Modbook (Pro) conversion kit, parts and labor for one full year from the date of the Modbook (Pro) or Modservice original purchase, and
* the modified Apple MacBook (Pro), parts and labor, while under the original Apple factory or Apple extended warranty, for up to a maximum of one full year from the date of the Modbook (Pro) or Modservice purchase.

Modcare provides carry-in or mail-in repair coverage worldwide** through Axiotron's network of Authorized Service Providers."

not a very specific warranty but it should cover most damage and for another gizillion dollars you can get a 3 year warranty

So so far i am still stuck. What i really need is someone who knows how to cut/stamp/mill metals... any ideas on that?
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:43 PM   #6
linuxjuicer
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrixl View Post
nice quick DIY but kinda ghetto for my taste . i like the wacom idea but can't find a 14" wacom
Old Jun 30, 2009, 11:36 PM   #7
linuxjuicer
macrumors newbie

Cool more helpful links

*a DIY wacom cintiq:

http://www.bongofish.co.uk/wacom/wacom_pt1.html

*DIY Powerbook tablet:

http://www.fabiennemaurer.com/blogfl...=3#comment-150

*iBook tablet mod:

http://www.fabiennemaurer.com/blogflo/?page_id=83

*Axiotron Modbook pro:

http://www.fabiennemaurer.com/blogfl...13#comment-152

*iTablet, made from smashing two iBooks together (best idea so far!)

http://www.macmod.com/external-mods/ibook/166

Just thought i would post some links for others that are interested

Last edited by linuxjuicer; Jul 1, 2009 at 05:17 AM.
linuxjuicer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 11:41 PM   #8
linuxjuicer
macrumors newbie

Axiotron Modbook e-mail returned!

so got a quick reply which tells me Axiotron has good customer service BUT I have some bad news for all iBook PPC owners out there, and i quote;

"Thank you very much for your interest in the Axiotron Modbook.

If I understand correctly, you are actually interested in doing Modservice on an iBook? The Modbook is actually built around the MacBook, not the iBook, so we would not be able to utilize your iBook in the conversion process. Some of Axiotron's dealers do offer used MacBooks specifically for Modbooks which might be one solution. Some also may be interested in giving you trade in credit for the iBook against a brand new Modbook (or used one if you'd prefer). In any case, I wanted to make sure you were aware of the available alternatives since there is no way we could convert your iBook."

Maybe I would trade for credit towards a macbook but I like my PPC and It has proven faster than most intel macbooks on certain tasks (google it)

Back to the drawing board, pun intended
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:51 AM   #9
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

I've toyed with this idea long ago too. Keep us posted if you decide to do anything .
Old Jul 7, 2009, 07:02 PM   #10
linuxjuicer
macrumors newbie

decision time

well i've decided I'm just going to sell my iBook G4 and either go for the ModBook or wait to see if the iSlate rumors are true. Rumor has it that mac reserved the islate.xxx website and will be releasing info about it in October/September this year but who knows?! So for now, if you wanna buy my iBook PM me

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs