Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
Does anybody know where to find any normal ringtones to put on the phone? The Marimba one on the iPhone isn't bad but it isn't loud enough to wake me up in the night over my snoring, haha. I also don't want a cat meowing or a dog barking or Lil Wayne rapping. I want a noise of a phone ringing and all the free apps I downloaded don't have anything decent. I'm not going to pay for an app to make my phone sound like a phone either. Does anybody know of any websites with free NORMAL downloadable ringtones?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Does anybody know where to find any normal ringtones to put on the phone? The Marimba one on the iPhone isn't bad but it isn't loud enough to wake me up in the night over my snoring, haha. I also don't want a cat meowing or a dog barking or Lil Wayne rapping. I want a noise of a phone ringing and all the free apps I downloaded don't have anything decent. I'm not going to pay for an app to make my phone sound like a phone either. Does anybody know of any websites with free NORMAL downloadable ringtones?

You can just make your own using itunes and any music that you already have.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
I LOVE www.myxer.com
I suggest it highly, and it actually works.
Yes, you can find some crazy silly stuff, but you can also find sound bytes and stuff too. You just have to search the right tag.

And its free.

Here are some of the ringtones I have on my iPhone from Myxer.

Yes. I like Family Guy quotes :p
I like non standard stuff on my iPhone for ringtones. But you can find normal stuff too.

Attachments

• Picture 013.png
    Picture 013.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 147

Cowboy8467

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2009
Why don't you just use the default one on the phone "old phone". It sounds just like an old fashioned phone ringing. Works for me!

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
I'm in the same predicament OP. I dont want songs as my ringtones and dont want silly little sounds as I use my phone for business mostly as well. I have yet to find any sites that are easy to use and just list many different types of normal ringtones.
The only thing that I have found close to better is doing a google search for other providers' ringtones and you can usually download them and just add those to your phone. For instance, I heard a ringtone in a movie that I liked and found it to be a T-mobile tone and just searched for that and found it.
I will be watching this thread though because I need ideas as well. There has to be more resources out there somewhere!

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
I could, but I'm looking for a newer style phone ringer. I know I'm being picky, but I'd just like to have some options.

You're not being picky. The 3GS was my first iPhone, and while it is an amazing device in many ways I was just floored that they don't have any ringtones that just sound like a phone ringing. It's almost like sometimes Apple does things just for the sake of being different. If they want the iPhone to ever be used as a corporate device, they may want to include at least one ringtone that doesn't sound like an episode of Loony Tunes.....

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
You're not being picky. The 3GS was my first iPhone, and while it is an amazing device in many ways I was just floored that they don't have any ringtones that just sound like a phone ringing. It's almost like sometimes Apple does things just for the sake of being different. If they want the iPhone to ever be used as a corporate device, they may want to include at least one ringtone that doesn't sound like an episode of Loony Tunes.....

I agree. My last 3 phones were all Windows Mobile and the 3GS is my first iPhone. On my last phones there were at least 3-4 normal ringtones that you could choose from. I'm much happier with everything else with the iPhone, there's just a few things that bother me and come off a little too childish for my liking.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Just a quick tip for anyone using that zedge.net site to download ringtones. I could not get their formats to drag into the Ringtones folder in iTunes. This was my solution.

Right click on file and click convert to AAC.
Drag file to desktop
Right click on file and click Get Info
Replace the .m4a to .m4r
Go back into itunes, Add to library and find that file on your desktop. It will drop it right into the Ringtones folder

Unfortunately a pain to do for many of them, but nothing else seemed to work for me. HTH

scotland007

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
Just a quick tip for anyone using that zedge.net site to download ringtones. I could not get their formats to drag into the Ringtones folder in iTunes. This was my solution.

Right click on file and click convert to AAC.
Drag file to desktop
Right click on file and click Get Info
Replace the .m4a to .m4r
Go back into itunes, Add to library and find that file on your desktop. It will drop it right into the Ringtones folder

Unfortunately a pain to do for many of them, but nothing else seemed to work for me. HTH

On Zedge, select your phone as an Apple - iPhone - 1G, this will allow you to save them as .M4R

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
You can just make your own using itunes and any music that you already have.
That's not entirely true.
Apple has killed the "Make a ringtone" or whatever it's called feature for damn near every song I have in iTunes.
And all the songs in my library that I didn't buy through iTunes are not eligible to convert into ringtones. :rolleyes:

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
That's not entirely true.
Apple has killed the "Make a ringtone" or whatever it's called feature for damn near every song I have in iTunes.
And all the songs in my library that I didn't buy through iTunes are not eligible to convert into ringtones. :rolleyes:

You just trim any file using Audacity or somesuch program, save it as AAC, and change the extension to m4r.

Instant ringtone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.