Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Narco220

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
I'm finding it hard to reach a decision on which bluetooth headphones to buy for my iphone 3G S

When it comes to sound quality it seems the Sennheiser MM 200 (pictured below) are the best but i don't like all the wires and the hanging bulky controler.
008459.jpg

when it comes to being compact the JayBird JB-200i (pictured below) look great but i hear the sound quality lets them down with poor base levels.
attachment.php

I already own the Sony DRBT21GB (pictured below) but there a bit bulky with poor base.
31UO%2B142XkL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Can anyone recommend any others?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think that we'll see new models of bluetooth stereo headphones come out in the coming months. I too haven't been able to find any that are 'just right' up to this point.

Those Seinheisers are a bit comical to me- they've made them wireless with almost as much wiring as regular headphones.

Unless you feel compelled to buy something now, I'd say wait until someone designs something better.

tjp888

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
I got to say that I like the Sony DR-BT22. So much so, that I bought 2 pair (1 for home and 1 for work).
You always have to sacrifice some sound quality for BT. But these are the best that I have found (so far).

tjhilder

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Kent, UK
can't recommend others but go for in-ear headphones, better quality IMO and drowns most of the outside noise out :)

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Whatever you get, make sure they have volume controls. I just bought some Sony HBH-IS800s, and you can't control the output volume from the phone, so they're just stuck at one volume all of the time. Highly annoying... I'm currently working on returning them.

Silv3rF0x

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
Bluetooth headset (What people have found to be the Best)

I was wondering what people have found to be the best bluetooth headset for your Iphone.

Also can you listen to your music on it from the iphone.

Kind of getting into the market for one.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I'm thinking about going with the Motorola MOTOROKR S9 bluetooth headset. It supposedly has good sound, can answer calls, and can control your ipod. It also works much better when working out then some of the other ones listed that go on top of your head. Also, if keeping your hair from getting messed up is a plus then these are good also.

On that note, has anybody had any experience with these to confirm that it works to change songs, answer calls, etc?

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
I would wait unless

I would wait or hold off on these, unless your all okay with no forward/back track control. Currently the BT implementation from Apple doesn't support those controls at all. So NO device will do it. I guess if you buy one of these now, it should work when Apple decides ( we hope ) to add it. But you never know.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I would wait or hold off on these, unless your all okay with no forward/back track control. Currently the BT implementation from Apple doesn't support those controls at all. So NO device will do it. I guess if you buy one of these now, it should work when Apple decides ( we hope ) to add it. But you never know.

That really sucks. This defeats the whole purpose of having bluetooth headphones for me. Thanks for the information though.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

There are some improvements for Bluetooth in OS 3.1 that was just seeded to developers. I haven't read about forward/back control, but support for Voice Control has been added.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
There are some improvements for Bluetooth in OS 3.1 that was just seeded to developers. I haven't read about forward/back control, but support for Voice Control has been added.

I just posted in one of the 3.1 beta threads, so hopefully I'll get someone to test this for me. I'll post back here if I hear back any results.

EDIT: Just received a response and still no track switching abilities on 3.1

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I know a guy with the Moto S9s who really likes them but uses them with an Android G1. There are also the S9-HD which has SRS-WOW on them and is supposedly a better version of the S9. Not sure if any of the Motos come with the DC650 Adapter included, but I have a Nano too and it would be nice to use it with that as well. And then there are the HT820 over the ear version which is older but boasts a much longer battery life. The S9-HDs do include the adapter. Reviews are mixed. Battery life charge cycles certainly play into that though most comments are that the battery won't hold a charge after 400 cycles which is 1-2 years and realistically in that time frame you will probably be in the market for a better product anyway.

Silv3rF0x

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
Anyone else have imput on this was wondering myself looks like all of them are bluetooth with there extra device you have to plug in. I hope you realy don't have to and they just work.

Anyone used any of them yet

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
Anyone else have imput on this was wondering myself looks like all of them are bluetooth with there extra device you have to plug in. I hope you realy don't have to and they just work.

Anyone used any of them yet

Everything except for track control (changing songs) will work without the extra dock device. The phone itself has bluetooth built in, so answering calls and changing volume will work without any adapter.

tjp888

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
The Sony DR-BT22 can also come as a kit with a BT dongle that plugs into the iPhone/iTouch connector. I use that on my iTouch (1G) and it DOES support next & previous track. B

tanster

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
SF Bay Area
I am interested in the Jaybird JB200, but legitreviews.com says this:

As good as the stereo sound was from the JayBird, we were a little shocked to hear the quality – or rather lack of quality – that the JB-200 produced when on a phone call. When the user is on a call, the JB-200 goes to “mono” and can only be heard in the left headset. Unlike other stereo headsets, JayBird mutes the right speaker when a phone call is made or received. This is probably some kind of safety feature, but we felt that the sound quality is really a sharp drop-off from listening to music. The first time it happened, I actually thought there was something wrong with the headset, but upon further review of the instruction manual, it clearly states that this is the normal behavior of the JB-200.

Since I've never owned Bluetooth headphones that can also take a call, my question is, is that normal behavior? Or are there other Bluetooth headsets that can take calls in stereo mode?

Thanks! :)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I am interested in the Jaybird JB200, but legitreviews.com says this:

Since I've never owned Bluetooth headphones that can also take a call, my question is, is that normal behavior? Or are there other Bluetooth headsets that can take calls in stereo mode?

Thanks! :)

I guess I ask you are you talking to 2 independently miked people, recorded and mixed by Dr. Dre. When I first got my iPhone I would notice that when I had my earbuds in and I was on a call, it sounded funny and hollow unlike my previous phones with a single earpiece. When I took my left bud out of my ear, it sounded normal again. I think there are 1 or 2 BT Stereo Headsets that handle "Stereo" calls, but most switch to Mono for the call and back to Stereo for music.

FearlessFreep

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Northern Virginia, USA
If you care about sound and don't mind added bulk, I just got the Motorola S805 and they sound fantastic. Bass blows any of the smaller buds away. Of course they're not for active use, but they are great and have all the call functions, etc. $37 at Amazon.
41L5y8xGfZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
I hope Apple spend some spare R&D cash on developing some of their own that take full advantage of voice/remote control and have great sound quality.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I hope Apple spend some spare R&D cash on developing some of their own that take full advantage of voice/remote control and have great sound quality.

Precisely, I'm waiting for one too. I'm holding off buying the S9-HD till fall, or till Apple releases one. If not then off to Motorola.

surge

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
Logitech Freepulse are my favorite. They have very very good sound quality, awesome bass. The S9's and the S9 HD are horrible. They're so tinny, the sound quality is crap. In fact, IIRC, I've tried every single A2DP set motorola has made, and they are all garbage. Great designs mind you, but the sound quality is horrible.

Not sure how Apple handles A2DP but in windows mobile you have the option to disable joint stereo for A2DP and it makes a huge difference (this is directed towards the person who said you have to sacrifice sound quality for A2DP).

Unfortunately, the freepulse seem to have problems with their construction.
This is my second pair that has died so far...and now they are out of warranty. I'm tempted to get a 3rd pair, but I think I will check out the sony. Sony has always been one for good sound quality.

I use a senneiser wireless system for my guitar, and it's top notch.
Unfortunately, their BT headsets look very very poorly designed.

I think if Apple released a BT headset I'd buy it.
They seem to always have good products when it comes to Audio...expensive and grossly overpriced, but good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.