Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
There has to be a thread somewhere ...........

I have Handbrake.

Basically I'd like to take some of the more obscure TV shows that I've purchased thru iTunes (in this case Top Sniper) and burn it onto DVD.

thanks

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
ok. I'm sure there is a solution out there to burn them but as an aside .... AppleTV hardware allows one to stream everything to stereo/TV right?

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
ok. I'm sure there is a solution out there to burn them but as an aside .... AppleTV hardware allows one to stream everything to stereo/TV right?

Yes, purchased videos can be streamed to a TV with :apple:tv.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
The DRM prevents the videos from being burned to DVD. There have been threads here on MR of people who purchased movies via iTunes and were unhappy they could not burn them to DVD in order to watch on TV.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
ok. I'm sure there is a solution out there to burn them but as an aside
There's no easy way to burn iTS videos onto a DVD for viewing on a DVD Player. The DRM doesn't allow you to convert the m4p files.

You could, however, play the video and record the analog signal using a DVD Recorder or a USB stick (like EyeTV) with analog inputs.

ft

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
The DRM prevents the videos from being burned to DVD. There have been threads here on MR of people who purchased movies via iTunes and were unhappy they could not burn them to DVD in order to watch on TV.

Of course I should point out that they should have read the terms of sale that were presented to them before they can purchase from the store (terms that dictated what your rights were). If they neglected to do the basics, that is their own fault.

In any case, the terms of usage that are agreed on clearly dictate that, as you said, do not allow you to create video DVD's from TV shows - just backups.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Of course I should point out that they should have read the terms of sale that were presented to them before they can purchase from the store (terms that dictated what your rights were). If they neglected to do the basics, that is their own fault.

In any case, the terms of usage that are agreed on clearly dictate that, as you said, do not allow you to create video DVD's from TV shows - just backups.

And a backup is only useful in iTunes.

sbking

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2009
Of course I should point out that they should have read the terms of sale that were presented to them before they can purchase from the store (terms that dictated what your rights were).
No you should not.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
No you should not.
Unless you happen to be a moderator, I don't really feel that it is your decision to make. I was merely pointing out that the limitation that some downloaded contend are spelled out in the terms of usage that should have been read by disappointed users.

You are free to disagree with me of course, but that does not change the fact that what I said is true.

sbking

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2009
That was a lighthearted comment tbh, but I looked in the store and I cannot find the terms of use.

sbking

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2009
It's only linked at the bottom of every iTunes Store page. There's also a big button to open it on the Account Information page. It's also presented when you open an account and I believe before the first purchase.
It's not on every iTunes page, only the main one. And no wonder I didn't see it when it's all in the bottom, with tiny letters. I'd expected it to be in the white boxes somewhere above (ie: quick links).

edit: It's also on the bottom of your account page. It's easily seen there because you don't have to scroll downwards en black/white is a big contrast as opposed to blue/dark blue. But I would not have spotted it in the main page if you haven't said it (I don't often scroll down that much) ;/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.