Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I've dropped my Macbook many times before in the past.

I chuck it carelessly inside the backseat of my car in the mornings heading out and like a little child drop my InCase backpack on the floor the moment I get home with my Macbook inside of it.

Well, earlier today I had my Macbook on counter, i'd say 4 ft high and the Macbook fell as I placed it awkwardly leaning outwards.

The Macbook falls, hits a metal trash bin hard and that causes it to spin faster and hit my tile floor with an incredible punch.

My heart sank; I've been rough with my Macbook before, but never like this. I was sure it was gone, but it still works 100% awesome!

This thread is really a question, (who says it has to be?) just wanted to explain that I love how reliable my Macbook has been for the past 2 1/2 years! I've slipped on the rain while I was at the Great Wall of China and fell on my InCase backpack to ease MY fall and all the force went on the Macbook inside, and yet here we are.

My White Macbook is awesome! I love it.

I've heard other complain their White Macbooks get f*cked up easily, but that's never been the case with me. I wonder how the new Alum Macbook Pro's would hold up against my rugged lifestyle.

hellrider

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Pennsylvania
The Alum MBPs would bend. Literally become misshapen. Not crack, but become disfigured. Happened to mine (very slightly) after a 2 foot drop. Still works, but its annoying.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
my heart stopped for a min when i read the first part of the title, then started again when u said it works great... whew....

they always told me that macs would be the death of me...:rolleyes:

congrats

linuxjuicer

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2009
CA
Lucky Ducky

Nice dude! I've also dropped my iBook G4 many times and it proceeds to work. Actually now that i think about it i dropped it once and it skipped the hard drive causing it to auto shutdown and not start back up but a quick trip to the genius bar fixed it. I also fried the logic board (where all the peripherals plug in , USB etc.) by accidentally dropping it with my external drive still attached :mad:
but after a $300 doctor bill over at the :apple: store it's alive and well! and I'm surprised to hear hellrider's MBP unibody bent after an only 2' drop, WOW!
I thought those unibodies were supposed to be tougher? Just goes to show that we all need to be a little more careful with our hardware :D

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
I wonder how the new Alum Macbook Pro's would hold up against my rugged lifestyle.

Not well. Aluminum isn't brittle like plastic. When it falls, it doesn't shatter, it bends, and Aluminum is VERY weak when compared to metals like Steel or Titanium and I believe it's even weaker than brass.

Don't get me wrong, it does fine with day to day use, but you don't want to be throwing it around or dropping it.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I wonder how the new Alum Macbook Pro's would hold up against my rugged lifestyle.

I always end in arguments with people over this. The truth is that if your going to drop your laptop a lot, the plastic is better. The aluminium laptops dent very easily, although the build quality is a lot better.

The plastic is brittle, hence the complaints about it cracking on the palmrest under every day use. But if you drop it, it will normally come off a lot better than a Aluminium Mac. Of course the logic board or hard drive could still break (not exclusive to the plastic of course), but the casing will remain intact.

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Well, that's cool and all for you. But couldn't you be more careful with your laptop? Just sayin'...

mrj205

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
Virginia
You must have a horseshoe up your a$$, with such great luck and all. I've managed to never drop any laptop I've ever owned, so I can't imagine the instant horror you faced. But it's great that everything worked out for you. Maybe invest in padding your entire home in neoprene...to keep things safe.

SpeedFleX

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Interwebz
someone kicked my backpack once with my macbook alu in it, when I got it out later the monitor was crooked so I bent it back a little and now it looks just as good as day 1 ;)

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Hee-hee, I know that feeling of shock. Bag slips off shoulder, PowerBook inside, with a nice concrete sidewalk underneath to catch it. Good thing the old AlBooks are relatively easy to bang back into shape :D

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
The exact same thing happened to my father. After only two days of ownership, he dropped his white MacBook 6 feet from the top of the towel rack to the back of a radiator.

I was amazed when it booted up again with no major problems (in fact no minor problems either), and that the only evidence of a drop at all was the Dent's to the casing.

Moreover, that was 2 1/2 years ago, the MacBook has not been mothered at all since its first accident, and is still working perfectly.

Amazing :)

nineohtoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
SF Bay Area
Nice. I used to drop my old TiBook on a daily basis back in the day. And it worked fine minus battery until the day I sold it(which i'm sure still runs). My friends ding their PowerBooks and uMBs all the time too. I've yet to drop my BlackBook though. However I have dropped my iPhones on an hourly basis since the first one. I even got my first gen bent in a mosh pit:

2719554204_6d1eddf9e9.jpg

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Here's another testimony to the durability if plastic. My iBook G4 was dropped 9 times and was fine. I've dropped my black MacBook 4 times now, and it's perfect. Aluminum can't handle that kind of abuse. So while I'm sad they stopped making the black MacBook, as long as Apple keeps making plastic ones- that's what I'll buy.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Not well. Aluminum isn't brittle like plastic. When it falls, it doesn't shatter, it bends, and Aluminum is VERY weak when compared to metals like Steel or Titanium and I believe it's even weaker than brass.

Aluminum is also

a) cheaper than any of those metals
b) easier to machine
c) non-magnetizable
d) anodizable
e) lighter

Aluminum doesn't hold up well to point pressure- but then again most metals don't. The disadvantages of aluminum are far outweighed by the advantages in this case.

by the way this isn't necessarily directed at you; more to the "omfg the MBP should be made out of titanium!" crowd. Reality check, please.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
sudden motion sensor ftw :D

So many posts! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks about how much their Macbook can sustain.

I'm glad many of you guys mentioned how the alum. macbooks would hold up since i'm now thinking about replacing my current white macbook with a new aluminum.

I'm quoting you KatKing cause i'm wondering if the motion sensor, and i'm assuming we're talking about the same one where when it senses itself suddently falling it'll kinda lock the HD tighter to help in the fall....

...Well, I replaced my original HD to a new 500GB Western Digital HD (eBay; New $85)....so would it still work? The sudden motion sensor thing? I'm confused if it matters if its a different HD and if the feature would still work regardless of what HD is in there?

ALSO! I've been wondering, I know my 500GB Hd from my White Macbook will easier go into the new aluminum Macbook, but I've also just purchased 4GB of RAM for my white MAcbook, will this DDR2 ram work with the new aluminum macbooks? I know the new ones use DDR3, but iono if compatibility problems arise?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.