Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)

Old May 30, 2004, 11:33 PM   #1
timdesignguy
macrumors newbie

Determining the value of used Mac equipment

Hello all - I'm looking for a "blue book" type of source to determine the current valuse of used Mac equipment. I know that at least one exists but can't track it down, and am not sure how quickly the value goes down with age. Any suggestions?
timdesignguy is offline   0
Old May 31, 2004, 03:05 AM   #2
oingoboingo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdesignguy
Hello all - I'm looking for a "blue book" type of source to determine the current valuse of used Mac equipment. I know that at least one exists but can't track it down, and am not sure how quickly the value goes down with age. Any suggestions?
Both www.lowendmac.com and www.everymac.com have estimated street prices for basically every Mac ever produced. My other suggestion would be to do an 'Advanced Search' on eBay, and check what prices the equipment you are interested in have been actually fetching from buyers. For the online auction market at least, no price guide will be more accurate than a list of the prices that people have actually been paying.
oingoboingo is offline   0
Old May 31, 2004, 09:35 AM   #3
phillymjs
macrumors regular

Don't bother with online price guides. Like the previous response said, if you want to know the true resale value of your stuff, do your own legwork-- search the completed auctions on eBay. Find five or ten completed items that are most like what you have (in terms of condition, accessories you'd be including with it, etc) and average their final auction prices, and that's the ballpark you should expect to be in.

~Philly
phillymjs is offline   0
Old May 31, 2004, 12:33 PM   #4
timdesignguy
macrumors newbie

I thought of ebay too. I'm bascially going to use the info to buy my Powerbook 17" and 20" display from my company on my exit (I'm the lone mac guy in a PC world so they won't miss it) and was looking for a basis of it's current worth to make them an offer while still getting a good deal for myself. Thanks for the suggestions.
timdesignguy is offline   0
Old Jun 1, 2004, 01:23 AM   #5
furrina
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to furrina
try craigslist if you're in the US

www.craigslist.org

find your city. A great place to sell stuff without the ebay bs or at least you can find what others are selling theirs for.
furrina is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)