Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:21 AM   #1
Web Ace
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Signal strength bars replaced by negative number

I've managed to replace my signal strength bars by a negative number. However, I don't know how to get back to the signal strength bars.

After reading an article, "Bugs & Fixes: iPhone 3GS signal strength oddities" in MacWorld I went into Field Test mode on my iPhone. Here is what I did:

WARNING: Once you replace your signal strength bars you may not be able to get them back. The "more accurate numerical indicator" is much more accurate but not quite as easy to see. You've been warned.

Quoting from the article by Ted Landau of Macworld:
"Finally, at least for AT&T phones, you can get a more accurate numerical indicator of the iPhone’s current signal strength by manually dialing *3001#12345#* followed by a tap of the Call button."

I did this from an original 8G iPhone. However when I got my new 3GS 32G iPhone and restored from my Mac the new "more accurate numerical indicator" feature loaded along with my data.

If anyone knows how to restore the signal strength bars I would like to know how to do this.
Web Ace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:29 AM   #2
poolish
macrumors regular

if its jailbroken you can probably disable it with sbsettings. its called numerical gsm.
if you tap it does it go back to the graphical signal strength icon..?

i dont have a 3gs so this is just based on using a 3g
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Ntombi
macrumors 68020

Did you restart the phone? Because I use that command every so often, and as soon as I press the home button, it goes back to normal. I didn't even know it was in the backup.

Another thought: maybe try doing it again and then exiting from it the normal way. Maybe that will get it back to normal.

Ntombi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Web Ace
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb How to get back to the signal strength bars revealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolish View Post
iIt's called numerical gsm.
if you tap it does it go back to the graphical signal strength icon..?

i dont have a 3gs so this is just based on using a 3g
YES! I tapped the numerical gsm and it went back to the signal strength bars.

Thank you for the fix.
Web Ace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 11:40 AM   #5
tivoboy
macrumors 68000

strange

strange, usually just hitting the home button times it out for me, JB or 3gs no JB
tivoboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting