Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 1, 2009, 04:35 PM   #1
ThBrokn
macrumors newbie

Restore to USB drive Ibook G4

I have a question for all you mac people out there

I just aquired a new old Ibook G4 and extremley excited but it only has a 30GB hdd and a "CdRom" My question is

I have a 100GB drive that im going to put in there, if i were to say partition the drive in two via a usb adapter and restore the leopard image "Family Pack" to a small 10GB partition and then put the drive in the ibook will i be able to boot off that leopard install partition?
ThBrokn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 04:39 PM   #2
yellow

Depends on which one it is.

According to MacTracker, the 800MHz maxes out at 10.4.11, any later model can run Leopard. Though, from personal experience running anything later than Tiger will be painful.
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 04:44 PM   #3
ThBrokn
macrumors newbie

It is the 1GHZ model 12" with 768MB's of ram and already has leopard on it, runs very well imho
Old Jul 1, 2009, 04:53 PM   #4
yellow

<-- speed elitist.

OK, so yes a partition will work fine.. though I would suggest something larger than 10GB.

1) Applications will take up space and I expect you'll want to install more and more over time?
2) Swap. You want space on the disk for virtual memory.
Running out of disk space on your boot drive will be annoying, I promise.

You could clone your current installation to the partition with SuperDuper! and save yourself some time, unless you want a vanilla reinstall.
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 05:02 PM   #5
ThBrokn
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow View Post
<-- speed elitist.

OK, so yes a partition will work fine.. though I would suggest something larger than 10GB.

1) Applications will take up space and I expect you'll want to install more and more over time?
2) Swap. You want space on the disk for virtual memory.
Running out of disk space on your boot drive will be annoying, I promise.

You could clone your current installation to the partition with SuperDuper! and save yourself some time, unless you want a vanilla reinstall.
Oh no i mean im going to restore my leopard dvd image to the 10GB usb partition, then pop the drive inside the machine use the leopard install partition as the startup disk then install leopard to my second partition the 85GB is that possible? or can i do superduper to a usb and will it be bootable even though its a usb drive?
Old Jul 1, 2009, 05:51 PM   #6
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816

That should work; I know a couple of people that've done similar things to get Leopard on their DVD-less machines.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 07:06 PM   #7
old-wiz
macrumors 604

I don't think the PPC macs will boot from usb, only Intel.
External disks for PPC have to be firewire to be bootable.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 08:23 PM   #8
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816

He's not planning on booting via USB; he's just putting the drive in an external case, putting the contents of the Leopard DVD on it, then sticking the drive int he iBook to install from the imaged DVD.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 09:04 AM   #9
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

If you want it as small as possible, you'll need at least 7.2gb if you want to restore your install image to a hard drive. You can find a guide here.

Don't plan on trying to boot from that partition from a usb enclosure though. It needs to be Firewire. Why not just clone your existing 30gb hard drive to the 100gb via your USB enclosure so you only have one partition? SuperDuper! is a great utility for the job.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 11:38 AM   #10
ThBrokn
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
If you want it as small as possible, you'll need at least 7.2gb if you want to restore your install image to a hard drive. You can find a guide here.

Don't plan on trying to boot from that partition from a usb enclosure though. It needs to be Firewire. Why not just clone your existing 30gb hard drive to the 100gb via your USB enclosure so you only have one partition? SuperDuper! is a great utility for the job.

This will work? I tried yesterday and it said cannot make bootable on a usb drive.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 11:59 AM   #11
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThBrokn View Post
This will work? I tried yesterday and it said cannot make bootable on a usb drive.
Then I'd suggest purchasing a Firewire enclosure. This one works great.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 03:35 PM   #12
ThBrokn
macrumors newbie

Will do, i also purchased the 12" super drive for it too woo woo. thanks guys.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs