Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brent0saurus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
I just started having this issue where when i close my powerbook lid to put it to sleep, it'll fall asleep (but takes longer than usual) and then 5 seconds after it falls asleep it'll wake up.
and then i'll open it and sometimes it'll continue to be awake, but sometimes it'll go back to sleep...

I've reset the PMU and the nvram. i've also created a test user account and i have the same issue there so it seems like it's a hardware issue... which really sucks.

does anyone have any suggestions? it seems like whatever makes the powerbook realize it's closed is broken. hopefully that's a part that's easy to replace?

I'm running the latest version of tiger on my 1.67 ghz low res powerbook g4.

brent0saurus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
There's either something poking a key on the keyboard when you close it, or the hall effect sensor is wonky :(

there's definitely nothing pushing a key down. the hall effect sensor is the same thing as the reed switch, correct? i can't seem to find a hall effect or a reed switch for my powerbook. only for the 12" albook...
any ideas where i can find this?

Maybe if i'm nice and get a nice genius they'll replace it for free...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.