Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

033558-karaoke_500.jpg

Apple has published a very interesting patent application in which they explore how to provide a Karaoke experience on the iPhone. Not only would users be able to sing along with their favorite songs, but Apple wants to give real-time feedback to singers letting them know how they are doing.
The systems and methods for providing users with real-time feedback while they are singing on key/pitch and providing real-time feedback to the user while the karaoke song is being sung. The feedback will be positive feedback if user is on key/pitch and it will be negative feedback if user is off key/pitch.
The patent application addresses "one of the biggest obstacles faced by amateur sings: singing on key/pitch". Apple suggests that this system could actually improve the quality of people's singing. One novel way to accomplish this would be to measure the pitch of the singer's voice and if it were to be too low, the device could exaggerate the low pitch of the user's own voice to encourage them to sing higher.

Apple clearly depicts pictures of the iPhone's iPod application with an additional menu option for "Karaoke". The interface for the Karaoke section is also shown above. We don't know if Apple will pursue this option in a future version of the iPhone software, but it's a fun and interesting proposition.

Article Link: Apple to Rate Your Karaoke Singing on Your iPhone?

jacknv2

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
apple, at&t, and the fox network are really tight. last season on american idol the at&t netowork and the iphone were promoted regularly. maybe this will be for some kind of AI tie in?

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
Um, can they really patent the singing portion of Rock Band / Guitar Hero / SingStar...?

yyy

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Once again I get the feeling that Apple is trying to draw people's attention away from its true plans by publishing all this crazy stuff :D

qbricc

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
Great

So now when I'm using public transport I not only have to listen to poor quality RnB out of a iphone speaker but now the fu@kwit will be singing along.

oyebto

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Singapore
its just crazy where apple gets all this ideas from. Steve Jobs , with great sense of taste, probably wanted this to go along with his music listening

iMat77

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Ticino, Switzerland
Singing

Now, if we only could do the same on the AppleTV :rolleyes: ... Along with other games... Ah, before I forget: what about renting and purchasing video in more countries? Alternatives are now shrinking...:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.