Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Ok, here's the deal. Every now and then I'll find my apps sort of in a misc. array that I find unattractive. I'm a bit OCD that way.

I would go to settings and under 'general' and 'settings' tap the 'reset all settings'. This doesn't loose any data but does reset the phone to a stock mode and place the apps in alphabetical order (new- as the other models of iPhone didn't do that).

I then have to go back and reset other settings (such as the brightness as I like it turned just about all the way up). I also set the lock to 'never'.

Can this procedure be done too much? Is there any behind the scenes activities going on within the phone that will get messed up if I apply this feature again and again?

Etnies419

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I'm not sure if it will mess your phone up, but why not just do "Reset Home Screen Layout?" That will do what you want, without having to reset everything else.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I'm not sure if it will mess your phone up, but why not just do "Reset Home Screen Layout?" That will do what you want, without having to reset everything else.

I just looked again, and honestly, don't know how I missed that before.

Thanks.

busybee

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
I know this is a very old thread:eek: but can anyone tell me if "Reset All Settings" from Settings - General - Reset will erase the sms messages? Also, how long will it take?

Thanks.

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
I know this is a very old thread:eek: but can anyone tell me if "Reset All Settings" from Settings - General - Reset will erase the sms messages? Also, how long will it take?

Thanks.

no it wont. just a few minutes at most.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.