Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niemo810

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2007
I'm looking to add an Airport Express to my home theater setup, but I don't really want to pay the hundred bucks... it's certainly not worth that. Is there another device that has the same functionality of the airport express?

Thanks

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I'm looking to add an Airport Express to my home theater setup, but I don't really want to pay the hundred bucks... it's certainly not worth that. Is there another device that has the same functionality of the airport express?

I think the Airport Express is a steal at $99. If you ever find a device that has all of its functionality for less, do let us know. I won't be holding my breath.

A.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Short of using an old computer "given away" on CL with that speaker software (still won't have wireless N), nothing can come close in price.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
functionality, what function in particular are you referring to?

create wireless network - lots of things for less money

join wireless network - depends on what you want to do.

airtunes - Not as cleanly, and not directly from the itunes window, but there is airfoil which will let you send any audio from a mac or pc to mac, pc, linux, iphone, or ipod touch. Or the :apple:TV, but that's not less $

niemo810

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2007
airtunes - Not as cleanly, and not directly from the itunes window, but there is airfoil which will let you send any audio from a mac or pc to mac, pc, linux, iphone, or ipod touch. Or the :apple:TV, but that's not less $

Yeah, I was considering airfoil. From what I understand, I have to purchase the program to for my macbook, but can install the companion app for free on basically any device? That's good, because I have a machine running ubuntu in my home theater setup that just runs boxee. I could install airfoil speakers on that and, because it's already networked, I could have a device that has the same (as far as airtunes goes) functionality as an airport express.

Thanks

P.S. geoffreak, congrats on your 500th post!

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
just bought one

we just bought last night at the apple store.

It works great so far!

internet surfing seems faster to us, instead of the 50 ft ethernet cable were using.

wifi on iphone works great, and right now i'm downloading my appletv update wirelessly. never used my appletv wirelessly, but seems to work great.

one warning if you get it. It worked great after initial install, but then stopped after downloading an airport utility update. To get working again I had to reset express while plugged in wall

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.