Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jul 3, 2009, 05:08 AM   #1
luksen
macrumors newbie

Remote Development using XCode locally

Hey there,

Is it possible to use the XCode IDE to code but have it compiled on a linux machine?

The current setup is as follows. The Linux machine has AFS installed, which I have on my mac as well, thus I see my linux home directory as a network drive. So, I ssh into the linux machine checkout the Code using subversion, add the checked out files to an XCode project, edit them there, but can't compile. I need to ssh back to the linux machine to compile the Code. Can this process be automated?

I think I read this was possible, at least with emacs, bit I would like to use the XCode IDE

cheers,

luksen
luksen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 08:03 AM   #2
theunixgeek
macrumors newbie

I'm not sure I quite understand your situation, but have you considered writing a quick BASH script to make SSH'ing a bit quicker? As far as I can tell, you could also try to write a quick application in Automator, especially since it can record what you do (where you click, what you type, etc).
theunixgeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 09:27 AM   #3
luksen
macrumors newbie

yes writing a bash script would probably work.. but I was wondering if one could still use XCode as a full IDE.. ie with debugging etc. and compile from within XCode (but have it somehow ssh to the linux machine and use its compiler)

as it is now xcode is just a more or less bloated text editor..

maybe this is just not possible?
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Cromulent
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by luksen View Post
maybe this is just not possible?
Not with Xcode.
Cromulent is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:07 AM   #5
luksen
macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, that was what I was expecting...

So is there an IDE with which I could do that? Maybe Eclipse?
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:33 AM   #6
lee1210
macrumors 68040

I would set the DISPLAY environment variable on the Linux machine to the IP and first display of your mac, then start X11.app on the mac, and run xhost + with the IP of the Linux machine. I would then run eclipse on the Linux machine, and it will display on the mac.

There may be a way to have the IDE run on the mac, but have it run all the supporting programs remotely, but it seems like it would be very involved.

-Lee
lee1210 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:18 AM   #7
luksen
macrumors newbie

update

I remembered recently that I posted this question here a long time ago and wanted to state how i solved the problem

I eventually added a shell script target that would do

ssh user@host "cd path/to/makefile;make"

this needs ssh keys to have passwordless access to the host but it has worked ever since. you do lose the debugging functionalities (but you loose this anyway when using makefiles) but at least you can build from xcode using command-Q

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming