Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:38 AM   #1
mrkgoo
macrumors 65816

Voice Memo syncing to iTunes Library -How is this supposed to work?

Ok, for the life of me, I can't really figure this out, so maybe someone here can help.

It's regarding syncing Voice Memos from the iPhone 3.0 app back to your iTunes library.

So when you have some voice memos, these get synced back to your library and also get added to a Voice Memos playlist. Fine. Now under your Music panel on your iPhone, there's a checkbox "Include Voice Memos".

Now here's how I think it's supposed to work:

No matter whether you have that checked or not, voice memos will sync from your iPhone to your iTunes. When you have this checked it will sync the state of the playlist to your iPhone, thus if you delete a memo from iTunes, it will sync back and remove it from your phone. If you don't have this checked deleting an item from iTunes deletes it, but it remains on your phone (and won't sync back to iTunes the next time, presumably).

Here's how it actually works on mine:

No matter whether I have the box checked or not, I exhibit the following behaviour. My items sync to iTunes. If I delete an item from iTunes and sync, it just reappears in my iTunes list (it remains on my phone). However, if I remove it a second time and sync again, it stays removed. It also remains on my iPhone regardless of the status of the checkbox.

Can someone tell me how this is supposed to work? It's confusing as Hell. Ideally, I don't want items just to be showing up in my music list - they all show up individually with no cover art, so is ugly in coverflow, hence why I want to delete them. Personally, I could probably live either way with keeping files on my phone that don't sync back to iTunes, or having to keep removing them from my phone, but I just can't figure out how this is is SUPPOSED to work.
mrkgoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 02:40 PM   #2
cobalt135
macrumors regular

While I don't have any answers for the first part of your post. I did notice that the memos are placed in the music list. They need to figure out something different for a storage place. AFAIK if you were in shuffle it would play them?
cobalt135 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 07:35 PM   #3
mavis
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mavis Send a message via MSN to mavis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt135 View Post
While I don't have any answers for the first part of your post. I did notice that the memos are placed in the music list. They need to figure out something different for a storage place. AFAIK if you were in shuffle it would play them?
They're checked to 'skip when shuffling' so they won't play ...
Old May 18, 2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Mohit Anchalia
macrumors newbie

This is how it works!

First, select all voice memos in your library. Then right click on the selected multiple items and open 'Get Info'. Open the 'Options' tab and select Media Kind as 'Voice Memo' and keep the box checked. Close it.
Then, unckeck 'include voice memos' from the Music section on the iPhone in iTunes.
Now sync your iPhone without including voice memos !
Mohit Anchalia is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone