Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puercaeli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2008
I had some idle time so I decided to put HD video(encoded for youtube) into my iPhone 3GS via 'Air Sharing'

to my surprise it played very well... video(1280x720p) was extremely crisp and sound very clear. I have not got to try 1920x1080 but this is still very cool!

I am not so sure about the battery consumption at this stage but it seems like Apple did put HD support into iPhone 3GS. May be someone should try with 3G as well to see if it is confined to 3GS....

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I had some idle time so I decided to put HD video(encoded for youtube) into my iPhone 3GS via 'airdisk'

to my surprise it played very well... video(1280x720p) was extremely crisp and sound very clear. I have not got to try 1920x1080 but this is still very cool!

I am not so sure about the battery consumption at this stage but it seems like Apple did put HD support into iPhone 3GS. May be someone should try with 3G as well to see if it is confined to 3GS....

I dont see the point in playing HD on the iPhone, the screen resolution is 480x320 so it is not capable of playing 720p let alone 1080p

All it will do is scale it down to its native resolution, bigger video size, less battery life for no benefit

hojoon0724

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I dont see the point in playing HD on the iPhone, the screen resolution is 480x320 so it is not capable of playing 720p let alone 1080p

All it will do is scale it down to its native resolution, bigger video size, less battery life for no benefit

It's that you don't have to re-encode everything and that takes soooooooo long
But I wouldn't watch a movie on my phone. Maybe the nightly news podcast every morning during commute :)

puercaeli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2008

Importance of this is not so much in that it can be used in everyday usage rather iPhone is capable of it. Everyone here knows that HD video will penalise your battery life and also that screen is not capable of it.:eek:

It is also significant in that Apple may unlock the HD recording feature... but this can be limited by the capability of the camera module itself...

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
what format? mp4, m4v? Something else? I don't actually know what youtube accepts, but I've had problems streaming bigger than 480x640 to my iPhone..

puercaeli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2008
More info...

what format? mp4, m4v? Something else? I don't actually know what youtube accepts, but I've had problems streaming bigger than 480x640 to my iPhone..

I have confirmed that this file cannot be transferred via iTunes
and here is the file info

Attachments

• bitrato.jpg
    bitrato.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 277

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005

It does have component out you know. Yes, component.
Who needs an Apple TV if you can hook your iPhone to the TV and play 720p video. :)

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Well the iPhone 3gs is not supposed to do 720p either. :rolleyes: But if it does... it has component out. ;)

puercaeli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Well the iPhone 3gs is not supposed to do 720p either. :rolleyes: But if it does... it has component out. ;)

someone should test it!
along with the test to see if this works in the prev gen Touches and Phones

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009

It's not playing the movie at 720p. It's downscaling it to a resolution it can play.

It would be the same as if the OP watched a Blu-Ray HD movie on an old SD screen. Sure it'd play, but its NOT HD.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
It has component out which is a HD video out. It is only a question of whether the device can output 720p. Somebody should test this. :)

bender o

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
It has component out which is a HD video out. It is only a question of whether the device can output 720p. Somebody should test this. :)

I second that. Also in the meantime I have another question, lets assume it can output 720p to an LCD with component cable, will the battery last for i don't know lets says 1 and a half hours to play a whole movie? Last night I had my iphone 3G connected to my home theater with the 3,5mm output and the battery went down easily 80% in less than 2 hours, that's why I ask.

Switz213

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
I second that. Also in the meantime I have another question, lets assume it can output 720p to an LCD with component cable, will the battery last for i don't know lets says 1 and a half hours to play a whole movie? Last night I had my iphone 3G connected to my home theater with the 3,5mm output and the battery went down easily 80% in less than 2 hours, that's why I ask.

If you're around a TV, you probably have space to plug in your iPhone. The TV, especially if it is an HDTV, is gonna need a power source :p

bender o

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
If you're around a TV, you probably have space to plug in your iPhone. The TV, especially if it is an HDTV, is gonna need a power source :p

Yes, I think i should have asked something before that. Does the component connect to the iphone through the dock or the 3,5mm connector?

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
very very sweet find. i am still without my mac or working internet to test this, but on my way home today, i will pick up component cable and at least get ready. cheers

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
I'm pretty sure 2.2.1 restricted more youtube videos than it does now with 3.0
With 3.0 I could look for HD video, add the few characters to the URL and still watch the video, downscaled of course, but I'm quite certain it wasn't possible with 2.2.1, can anyone confirm? I now have a 3gs so the videos run a lot smoother, I'll have to encode some myself and transfer or stream them and check if there is any difference.

puercaeli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Tested full HD(1080) files

1080 with 30 frames seem to work but think there is a bit of a lag...
movie clip I had was too short and did not have much conversation so I could not confirm this.

But I could confirm 1080 with 60 frames was horribly out of sync!

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
is there a free app to do this?
I tried streaming the Mov or Mp4 files from my Mac and I couldn't play them
Have you tried other ways to store the files on your iPhone? iPhoto/iTunes perhaps?

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
1080 with 30 frames seem to work but think there is a bit of a lag...
movie clip I had was too short and did not have much conversation so I could not confirm this.

But I could confirm 1080 with 60 frames was horribly out of sync!

Where are you getting this?

How do you know the number of fps the iPhone is showing? How are you getting a screen that has a max resolution of 480 to play at 1080?

This thread is FAIL!

puercaeli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Where are you getting this?

How do you know the number of fps the iPhone is showing? How are you getting a screen that has a max resolution of 480 to play at 1080?

This thread is FAIL!

It is true there is no way we can confirm what fps is playing. Occular observation is all I can provide; it looks smooth.

But...

What do you say about all those PMPs that claim to be able to play HD video even with resolution less that 800x480? Are you going to say they are lying about it? It is true that it is downscaled to the iPhone/iPod screen size but it is still playable that is the whole point.

Also coupled with the fact that chip is capable of HD video playback; despite it appeared to be being locked by Apple. Additionally, this video does not play on prev gen Apple Mobile OS devices.

So there are numerous concrete circumstantial evidence pointing towards iPhone being capable of HD video. So, this thread is very far from the FAIL as far as I am concerned and many other I believe, too.

puercaeli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2008
is there a free app to do this?
I tried streaming the Mov or Mp4 files from my Mac and I couldn't play them
Have you tried other ways to store the files on your iPhone? iPhoto/iTunes perhaps?

I think any program that allows the file transfer from your computer to iPhone/iPod will do. I am not sure I have mentioned it but iTunes does NOT work and iPhoto does not have sync capability so does not work for sure.

May be jail breaking will work? if you can somehow transfer the file to iPhone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.