Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I was an idiot and upgraded my iPhone 3G to 3.1 and I would really like to put 2.2.1 on it instead. I remember being able to downgrade to 2.2.1 before by installing 2.2.1, then using QuickPwn in Windows to get it out of recovery mode, but for some reason, I can't do that anymore when I tried going to 2.2.1 from 3.1. Any suggestions?

enoC

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2009
Denmark
U proberly could, but I really don`t understand why you would downgrade all the way down to 2.2.1? Why not just stick to 3.0?

Anyway try this:
1. Put the phone in DFU mode (Hold power button and home button for 15 seconds and then release power button and BUT KEEP HOLDING THE HOME BUTTON)

2. Restore 3.0 firmware (Click shift and restore and do a restore of this firmware iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw)

3. When it finishes you will get an error. Click ok and exit iTunes.

4. After you got that error use QuickPwn-225 (http://www.quickpwn.com/2009/01/offi...indowsmac.html). When you use quickpwn it will tell you to to hold the power and home button for 15 seonds. Then release both buttons and then hold the power button for 2 seconds.

5. You are done.

This is taken from a post there on Macrumors. And it worked for me downgradinf to 3.0.....

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
U proberly could, but I really don`t understand why you would downgrade all the way down to 2.2.1? Why not just stick to 3.0?

Anyway try this:
1. Put the phone in DFU mode (Hold power button and home button for 15 seconds and then release power button and BUT KEEP HOLDING THE HOME BUTTON)

2. Restore 3.0 firmware (Click shift and restore and do a restore of this firmware iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw)

3. When it finishes you will get an error. Click ok and exit iTunes.

4. After you got that error use QuickPwn-225 (http://www.quickpwn.com/2009/01/offi...indowsmac.html). When you use quickpwn it will tell you to to hold the power and home button for 15 seonds. Then release both buttons and then hold the power button for 2 seconds.

5. You are done.

This is taken from a post there on Macrumors. And it worked for me downgradinf to 3.0.....

That's what I did, but I tried doing that with 2.2.1. I held down the Power and Home button for 15 seconds but that would just restart my iPhone... it wouldn't actually let me get to holding the power button for 2 seconds.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
This is interesting, a newbie helps a demi-god.

First of all, I already tried what he mentioned before I even posted this. Second of all, I am a Demi-God because I gave MacRumors some of my money (because I like this site a lot and wanted to support it). Demi-God doesn't mean Knows-Everything.

Also, the "newbie" gave instructions on how to go back to 3.0 (which is not what I asked for)

I was just wondering if there was a way to go from 3.1 to 2.2.1. No need to get fresh.

enoC

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2009
Denmark
This is interesting, a newbie helps a demi-god.

Just because my title says so, it doesn`t mean I am a newbie:)

First of all, I already tried what he mentioned before I even posted this. Second of all, I am a Demi-God because I gave MacRumors some of my money (because I like this site a lot and wanted to support it). Demi-God doesn't mean Knows-Everything.

Also, the "newbie" gave instructions on how to go back to 3.0 (which is not what I asked for)

I was just wondering if there was a way to go from 3.1 to 2.2.1. No need to get fresh.

I still haven`t got your reason why you want to go all the way back to 2.2.1. I`m sorry but it doesn`t make much sense to me:) The reason for why I posted those instrutions is that I hoped you would be able to downgrade as I did. Not because I didn`t read what you wrot.

sry for my bad english, but I`m trying my best:D

Edit: Just try the instrutions a few times. It didn`t work for me the first time nether.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Just because my title says so, it doesn`t mean I am a newbie:)

I still haven`t got your reason why you want to go all the way back to 2.2.1. I`m sorry but it doesn`t make much sense to me:) The reason for why I posted those instrutions is that I hoped you would be able to downgrade as I did. Not because I didn`t read what you wrot.

sry for my bad english, but I`m trying my best:D

Edit: Just try the instrutions a few times. It didn`t work for me the first time nether.

I have an iPhone 3GS that I obviously can't put 2.2.1 on but, I also have an iPhone 3G that I would like to put 2.2.1 on but, for some reason using the same technique I used last time did not work. I miss having a fast iPhone 3G. 3.0 on the 3G is slower than heck and not just because it's not an iPhone 3GS... 3.0 seems more bloated to me. I wanted to install 2.2.1 for old times sake and see how much better it performs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.