Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdhfootball

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
I need an adapter that attaches to the smoking jack in the car. It needs to be able to charge and play my iPhone. Are there any adapters out there you would recommend?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Does it also play your music in the car?

yes, just like my other charger does. Had it plugged in listening to my music on a 300 mile trip. My radio has a aux input in it and i bought a cable from radio shack so i can play music in the car with it if that is what you mean. It isnt going to happen just by plugging it into your cig jack. That just charges it.

bildio

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
New Jersey
Do you want it to play through the car radio, e.g., direct connect thru audio in on your car radio, or via fm transmitter.

Do a search on amazon.com for iphone car charger. You'll get a list of chargers, & reviews.

rtztgue

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
just go to ebay. there are a few on there that charge your phone and play the music through the radio via the fm band. You just find an unused fm band and tune the charger/player to that station..... Mine works decent, but on long trips i would have to change the station from time to time because I would drive into an area that was using the station I was on.

if you have an tape deck you can buy one of those cassete players with the headphone jack and that works better than the fm... less interference from stations.

Just watch the ebay items because some are not exactly compatible. Your iphone may display an error saying it is plugged into an incompatible device. I know mine works, but i had a friend buy one similar and he gets the error message and it wont charge

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Here's what works for me -

I have an Aux input in my car and a lighter/power plug next to it. So I bought the iPhone Composite Video Cable (breaks out to a USB plug and RCA plugs for Left, Right and Video). I clipped off the video since I didn't need it and connected the Left/Right RCA to an RCA-Stereo headphone jack adapter. The USB plugs into a lighter plug charger.

This way, I only have one cable coming out of the phone that carries both power and audio. I don't need a second cord coming out of the headphone jack, and I don't have to worry about setting the volume on the iPhone since the audio-out is line level.

Works very well.

And the phone is smart enough so that when a call comes in, the call's audio is routed either through the handset itself or bluetooth; I don't have to worry about feedback coming though the car speakers.

byulasfjazz

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
yes sir

I have a charger that works amazing.. it auto finds a channel for you...it plays very clearly... it Charges too! I love it because I can chage my phone and listen to baseball when Im driving.. sooo nice

I got it at walmart,.. it was like 50 or 60 bucks though.. but well worth it..

its black and i think its BELKIN?? not sure

Mademan12321

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
$50 - 60 dollars??? Talk about over priced. I think I bought a cellet one at fry's for 14.99 that hasn't failed me for over 2 years. Your going to get a lot of different answers but you should never EVER have to pay over 25 bucks for a simple car charger unless it comes with other accessories.

Just don't get the ones that plug into your sync cable. I had a friend that messed his sync jack up on a super cheap one from HD accessories.

If you want it to play through your car speakers you either have to have a 3.5mm jack in your car, a usb enabled plug outlet to your stereo, or bluetooth enabled (mostly luxury or newer model cars)

BranWOW

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
$50 - 60 dollars??? Talk about over priced. I think I bought a cellet one at fry's for 14.99 that hasn't failed me for over 2 years. Your going to get a lot of different answers but you should never EVER have to pay over 25 bucks for a simple car charger unless it comes with other accessories.

Just don't get the ones that plug into your sync cable. I had a friend that messed his sync jack up on a super cheap one from HD accessories.

If you want it to play through your car speakers you either have to have a 3.5mm jack in your car, a usb enabled plug outlet to your stereo, or bluetooth enabled (mostly luxury or newer model cars)

Maybe you should read the post again, he didn't spend $50-60 on a "simple" car charger.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Yes, I use an FM transmitter by Belkin. It charges the phone as well as playing music. When you plug it in, the "accessory not compatible, turn on airplane mode?" message will come up, just click NO and it will still play.

The DOWNSIDE of this is that if you receive calls, texts, or have push email turned on, when the data comes through it will result in a huge static-y noise. I have email turned off, so the other two are not a huge issue, but just letting you know. I think that this happens with any FM-transmitter and the iPhone...

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
I've got this.
drmiph3g3in1fmblk.jpg

Charges and plays music through an AWESOME FM Transmitter.

Best $25 I ever spent.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
$99 is just ridiculous. My car charger was $9.99 and the cable to plug into the aux was $5.99 and how does that thing play thru your car speakers?

"RoadTrip incorporates SmartScan technology to find, memorize, and select the three best frequncies for use in broadcasting the music on your iPhone or iPod on your car's FM stereo system."

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
I have a charger that works amazing.. it auto finds a channel for you...it plays very clearly... it Charges too! I love it because I can chage my phone and listen to baseball when Im driving.. sooo nice

I got it at walmart,.. it was like 50 or 60 bucks though.. but well worth it..

its black and i think its BELKIN?? not sure

I have the same one, and it is truly awesome. Best one I've ever bought.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
What year/make/model is your car?

I'm really into cars, and have an Audi A3. Dice Electronics makes a hardwire setup for my car that I have and it's amazing. You wire it into the radio itself into the port where the CD changer would go and then you route the wire to wherever you'd like in the car. At the end of the 3ft wire is a dock connector that charges and interfaces the iPhone with the car.

This enables me to play my music directly into the system with no interference, change track, volume, and seek with the steering wheel controls, and charge my phone at the same time.

http://www.diceelectronics.com/ If you go to "iPod Car" (not universal iPod car, i think that's their FM adapter) and see your car brand there, check it out. Very high quality products. Make sure you get the +5v charging version for new apple portables (like the 3G and 3GS)

coledog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2006
Roanoke, VA
I've got this.
drmiph3g3in1fmblk.jpg

Charges and plays music through an AWESOME FM Transmitter.

Best $25 I ever spent.

I have the same one, doesn't work in a 96 Audi A4 as the way the plug is designed it doesn't stay upright. The rubber stopper around the end isn't big enough.

Also it said on my 3G that it was a non-compatible accessory and when I played music through it without airplane mode on, the transmitter was just overpowered.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Now that is cool. If it is only $25 then that is a good deal imo. $99 is ridiculous. It doesnt have 2G is included but dont see why it wouldnt work for it too.

It should be fine w/ a 2g.

My only reservation with this device is that it's a little flimsy. It will move a bit on sharp turns. (I have a 98 Camry)

If you play around with it, you'll find a position that is just right.

Also, there are plenty of screws that you can manually tighten. (One was a little loose when I got it. A few hand turns and I got it perfect.)

It says it will play your calls over the car speakers. I personally just use the speaker on the phone. You won't need to use the headphone jack on the top.

The FM transmitter is tops. I use it on station 106.9. I get no interference with other people or radio stations.

So the FM transmitter is great, the holder hold my 3GS w/case fine. It does move a bit on sharp turns, but that is all. It will charge and play your music. It will act exactly how it does when your listening to headphones and you get a call.

Any other questions?

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Now that is cool. If it is only $25 then that is a good deal imo. $99 is ridiculous. It doesnt have 2G is included but dont see why it wouldnt work for it too.

I think fm transmitters sound like garbage. I had a product from belkin I think that charges and plugs into the aux port in my BMW which worked great. Only problem is that it would pop up with that annoying message of the product notbeing designed for the iPhone.

jpk32092

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2008
Boston
1. Get an iPod Car Charger
2. Get a cassette->headphone jack adaptor

charge and listen to music in your car at the same time :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.