Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentFeline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Hello,
I am new to this forum and need help. I moved recently and I need to transfer my iTunes library from one PC to another. What is the simplest way for me to do this? Please keep in mind that I am not very tech savvy, so it must be easy enough for me to actually accomplish.

I also want to add that I have researched this, and I was planning on copying all of the songs from my iPod to CDs and then re-loading them on my iPod using the new computer and a new iTunes account. However, I'm not sure if this would work in completely syncing my iTunes library. Any suggestions? Am I at least on the right track? I would appreciate any help at all, even if it's just a link. Thank you all in advance. :eek:

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Depending on the amount of music you have in your collection, this is one route to go. Alternatively if you have an external hard drive, you can copy the iTunes folder from the My Music directory of one PC and put it into the matching location on the other system. This method is only applicable if you don't have an iTunes directory on the other computer or if you don't mind overwriting the directory with the copy from the originating system.

SilentFeline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Thank you very much for your reply, JediMeister. Coincidentally, the link you provided is the same one I found during my "research," where I got the idea of burning to CDs. I don't have too many songs so this should be fairly easy. However, I do have one other question. Once I have backed up my music, will I have to erase all of the songs on my iPod and just re-load them using a brand new iTunes account and the new PC, or would I be able to keep all of my songs on my iPod and still have successfully transferred my iTunes library?

Again, thank you so much for your help. :)

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
You can only sync your iPod with one instance of iTunes. If you try to sync with another computer it will warn you that this is only possible by erasing and resyncing with the other system. That being said, if you manually manage your music and videos, and don't mind dragging and dropping content off the iPod and manually removing it from there, you can connect your iPod to as many computer systems as you wish and transfer music to the iPod at will. Manually managing content is a toggle, however if you try to switch from manually managing to syncing content, you will once again be prompted to erase and sync the iPod anew.

SilentFeline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Thank you again for your reply. I think I understand what you're saying. Basically, if I want to use my iPod on the new PC in the same way I used it on my previous PC, I would have to be willing to lose all of the songs on my original iTunes library, thus rendering my iTunes account useless on my old PC. I am assuming then, if I understand correctly, I can just copy all of my songs to CDs and then re-load them on to my iPod using the iTunes library on my new PC without having to pay for the songs again? I hope I am understanding this correctly. Forgive me if I'm still confused...I don't have very much knowledge about this computer/tech stuff. This is my first and only iPod and I have never had to move my library before. :eek:

Thank you again for your help. You have been very patient with me, and have been the only one who has responded to my inquiries. :)

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
When you transfer the iTunes library over to the new PC, first step will be to authorize the computer from the Store menu with your existing iTunes account. That will ensure that all of your music will be playable on the new computer system. You do not need to create a new iTunes account for the new system. If you connect the iPod to the newer PC and try to sync music, iTunes will only allow you to do so if you remove all the content from the iPod and start the syncing of content back over. Manually managing the iPod will let you keep what is on the iPod and add/delete songs from the iPod using the iTunes interface, and bypasses the need to create a set of playlists or manage your music library by removing checkmarks next to the track names to get the content over to the iPod. Take a look at the video I have linked for the differences between syncing or manually managing the music/videos on the iPod.

SilentFeline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Okay, I'm pretty sure I understand what you're saying and that all of my questions have been answered. I will manually manage my iTunes library once I have transferred it to my new PC, and hopefully everything will go smoothly. Thank you again for being so patient and helpful! Oh, and thanks a lot for the video link, it was very useful. I now know exactly how to manually manage my library. :D

JulesS

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2011
Easier way?

Hi, sorry for replying to this old topic, but I need to transfer my iTunes library from my old XP to my new Win 7 laptop and I was wondering if there's an easier way in the meanwhile? Such as a new iTunes function or a software?

The problem is, that my iTunes library is relatively huge and some parts of it are stored on an external drive. Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.