Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longstrider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
I am into my second week with my new Iphone 3gs, coming from a BlackBerry 8330. I love the iPhone, but if I cannot find a way to save and edit email attachments, so that they can then be reattached and sent via email, I will have to return the phone and stick with the 8330. I have searched and tried a few different suggestions: Quick Office, Docs to Go, Readdle Docs. None of these work well at all. I am hoping that someone can provide some type of solution, but I am fearing the worse. I don't want to give up the iPhone! Does anyone have another idea?

Thank you in advance!

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I am into my second week with my new Iphone 3gs, coming from a BlackBerry 8330. I love the iPhone, but if I cannot find a way to save and edit email attachments, so that they can then be reattached and sent via email, I will have to return the phone and stick with the 8330. I have searched and tried a few different suggestions: Quick Office, Docs to Go, Readdle Docs. None of these work well at all. I am hoping that someone can provide some type of solution, but I am fearing the worse. I don't want to give up the iPhone! Does anyone have another idea?

Thank you in advance!

Why do you say "none of these work well at all"?

longstrider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009

Okay, let me backtrack... Actually, Quick Office and Docs provide a sufficient solution for editing. The hurdle is being able to save an attached document from an email, so that I can use one of those programs to actually make changes. Is there a way to save and edit email attachments?

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Okay, let me backtrack... Actually, Quick Office and Docs provide a sufficient solution for editing. The hurdle is being able to save an attached document from an email, so that I can use one of those programs to actually make changes. Is there a way to save and edit email attachments?

Nope. Sorry.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Maybe look at other email client apps in the app store. There or other ones available that might allow you to do something like this. Don't know for sure though. Good luck. :eek:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Yes, there's a workaround, at least until Quickoffice gets updated with the ability to access email attachments.

You can also use DocsToGo with Exchange if you have exchange account.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I thought I saw somewhere that with Readdle Docs you could save/open attachments. You needed to usea specific email they give you, but you can always forward your emails to your Readdle account and open them up from there. I don't own this app, but I believe I read this somwhere. Can anyone else confirm?

EDIT: I guess JayLenochiniMac beat me to it. That's the workaround I was talking about also.

venasque

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
Nope. Sorry.

Really? That surprises me. You can save pictures from emails right (I'm waiting on stock before I get my first every iPhone)? With Apple trying to break into the corporate world (with Exchange) I can't believe they didn't think people might want to save a document from an email. :confused:

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Really? That surprises me. You can save pictures from emails right (I'm waiting on stock before I get my first every iPhone)?

What do you mean waiting for stock? Waiting for stock to sell so you have the money to get an iPhone?

With Apple trying to break into the corporate world (with Exchange) I can't believe they didn't think people might want to save a document from an email. :confused:

Well, there's no user-accessible file system. The pictures in email had to be programmed in from Apple as a separate feature because the user doesn't have direct access to the file system. As a poster above me said, Documents to Go supports Exchange attachments (if you buy the Exchange edition).

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
What do you mean waiting for stock? Waiting for stock to sell so you have the money to get an iPhone?

Well, there's no user-accessible file system. The pictures in email had to be programmed in from Apple as a separate feature because the user doesn't have direct access to the file system. As a poster above me said, Documents to Go supports Exchange attachments (if you buy the Exchange edition).

The pictures go to the camera roll. Too bad they don't program a way to save pdf's and docs. It would be nice.

longstrider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009

Really? That surprises me. You can save pictures from emails right (I'm waiting on stock before I get my first every iPhone)? With Apple trying to break into the corporate world (with Exchange) I can't believe they didn't think people might want to save a document from an email. :confused:

I felt the same way! I assumed that such a basic task would be stock. Now do not get me wrong, the iPhone is an incredible device, but I am surprised that this function was not included Out of the box. I think I will give Quick office a chance to come out with their solution, before I pay for MobileMe. Hopefully it will come sooner than later. This has to be an issue bigger than just me. I would imagine it is a huge void...

Thank you all for your help. You may just be stuck with me for a while.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
I felt the same way! I assumed that such a basic task would be stock. Now do not get me wrong, the iPhone is an incredible device, but I am surprised that this function was not included Out of the box. I think I will give Quick office a chance to come out with their solution, before I pay for MobileMe. Hopefully it will come sooner than later. This has to be an issue bigger than just me. I would imagine it is a huge void...

Thank you all for your help. You may just be stuck with me for a while.

The simple fact is that Apple doesn't alllow user-access to the file system. Everything is done with programs on the surface and not through the direct manipulation of folders and files by the user. It's not that Apple can't make this function work, it's that they didn't want user-access to the file system to simplify things.

longstrider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
I cannot recall where I read it. However, Docs 2 Go supposedly released a update to iTunes within the past week that will permit e-mail download and edit.

You are correct; You can download and edit files with Documents to Go, although excel files are not included. But it is a step closer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.