Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grosslyclever

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Is there Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition for mac?

Thanks
- GC

ritsard

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I don't think so.....you can use Xcode or a lot of open source editors and compilers. Ofcourse, there is always the command line.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If you want to actually program Windows software, to be run solely on using Windows APIs in Visual Studio, I don't think gcc or XCode is really going to cut it. Generally, if you wanted to do that and you wanted to develop on Apple hardware, your major options are to run Windows in either virtualization (Parallels / VMWare, etc) or directly (Bootcamp).

Also, one thread per topic, please. If you're not sure where it should go, put it in what you think is the most appropriate forum (no cross-posting) and we will move it if necessary.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
If you want to do basic .NET stuff you can install Mono. It's an open source .NET framework and IDE for Linux and OS X. I use Mono to write .NET code that runs on my server. I can even reference Windows DLLs and the code compiles and runs.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Answer: No. Question: What is your real question? Take it as practicing being a software developer. The most important question is always: What is the real question?

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
Answer: No. Question: What is your real question? Take it as practicing being a software developer. The most important question is always: What is the real question?

or similarly:
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Often when i get questions they're in the form of "How do i do X, it's not working/it's too slow/etc.?" and I have to ask "What problem are you trying to solve?" or "Why are you trying to do that?". It's often doing someone a disservice if i tell them how to do what they wanted to do, because it's the wrong approach in the first place.

So, to the OP:
Do you want to learn to program in general, and you never have before?
Do you want to learn to program for the Mac, and you've only programmed Visual C++ on Windows?
Do you want to program C++ on the Mac but you've only programmed in other languages?

Help us narrow down your needs and we can better help. Otherwise, the only answer we can give is "No".

-Lee

bkap16

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2009
Is there a version of Microsoft Visual Studio for mac?

No. Visual Studio is Microsoft's integrated development environment for Windows programming. Apple has their own XCode environment, which uses the open source Gnu Compiler Collection for C/C++/Objective-C development. Once you download XCode, you can also use other IDEs such as the cross platform Eclipse (eclipse.org, my personal preference) and Sun Microsystem's Netbeans (netbeans.org). Or, you can do it the old fashion way and fire up vim or emacs in a terminal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.