Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
Very interesting. I only see 4 Ram slots though... Maybe this is just the low end model...

Cool, this must mean an all-dual lineup.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
NH
grabberslasher said:
Cool, this must mean an all-dual lineup.

That's what jumped out at me too. No more singles...maybe only singles in the iMac G5.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
How can apple legal get involved? They are in their own service manuals that have been released by apple, it's not like the pictures have been stolen. Probably leaked on purpose to create hype ala leaked G5 specs on the web last year.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
The bad news: still only one optical drive and not more space for the harddisks in the upper right corner. But I'm wondering what the extra space in the lower left corner is for...

And why are there only 4 RAM slots? :confused:

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Here is the small version of the picture.

Attachments

• 90nmG5ServiceSmall.jpg
    90nmG5ServiceSmall.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 4,414

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX
Only 4 visible... If you look at the photo, in the back of the separation piece of metal there's a little cut out area, looks like some more RAM slots and enough opening area for your fingers to maneuver through there.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Veldek said:
But I'm wondering what the extra space in the lower left corner is for...

There IS a lot of space down there. I am only seeing 4 RAM slots, like you... which is weird considering the placement of them puts them right next to the big empty hole. Maybe they will have future expansion RAM there...I haven't a clue.

EDIT: The article actually says the space could be used for 1TB of storage...why didn't I think of that?!? :eek: :)

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
keysersoze said:
EDIT: The article actually says the space could be used for 1TB of storage...why didn't I think of that?!? :eek: :)

Yeah, I read that, too, but why should there be some harddisks and some others on the whole other side of the Power Mac. I can't imagine this being very efficient considering that there has to be some kind of connection.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Veldek said:
Yeah, I read that, too, but why should there be some harddisks and some others on the whole other side of the Power Mac. I can't imagine this being very efficient considering that there has to be some kind of connection.

Right. And I am not sure how the HD's would mount in there anyway...they took out the metal separator... so I wonder how they could reside in there. And the vertical fans are gone...1TB of storage would require a lot of fans, I would think. I don't know though, considering I've never been in the presence of so much storage capacity. :)

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX
edesignuk said:
There is no way tis will be quad :rolleyes:
I was snooping around in the System folder looking for a file and there was a configuration file for the About This Mac window (not a .plist, maybe a .bundle, I can't remember). In there were configurations for Single, Dual, Triple, and Quadruple Processor configurations. Now that could be just covering the bases, maybe for use in a server environment, but I figured I'd point it out.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Veldek said:
The bad news: still only one optical drive and not more space for the harddisks in the upper right corner. But I'm wondering what the extra space in the lower left corner is for...

And why are there only 4 RAM slots? :confused:

There are now 2GB DDR ram sticks available, maybe apple things we don't need more than 8GB RAM..

BTW someone said that intel can't have more than 4.x GB ram in their mobos, which is untrue. Intel's mobos use some weird RAM emulation thing where they have 42bit addressing (someone do the math).. anyways I'm pretty sure that means intel's mobos (even on 32bit processors) can go higher than 8GB (which is apple's artificial max).

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
edesignuk said:
There is no way tis will be quad :rolleyes:

I don't see why not, aside from the production problems with the 90NM.. but that never stopped Apple from 'releasing' the product anyway and just saying "unavailable until rapture."

Jobs said "3ghz in 1 year".. maybe this is his way of making it up to us for making fuctarded promises :)

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Appleinsider published photos from new service and repair documents for the Apple PowerMac G5 which depict a yet unreleased PowerMac G5.

The revised model looks identical to the current PowerMac G5 on the outside, but feature notable differences in the internal design.

Changes show a larger unified heatsink cover (with G5 label), significantly smaller motherboard, vertically placed RAM slots.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Looks like a new SINGLE CPU heat shield, to me. (AI speculates that it's a new dual shield, but it only says "G5" once--and I think Apple likes to show off that there are two in there.)

If that means the lineup's not going all-dual, I approve: the lowest PowerMac can then be cheaper than possible with duals.

DWKlink

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
New York, NY
Well the original photo is of a single cpu machine. I know that there were rumors in these threads that the new g5s would be single proc machines - i just can't see apple doing that.

Keep in mind that if they do use 970fx, its a much smaller chip - so there could be 2 underneath that sink.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.