Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gonk42

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
near Cambridge
I've not got Mac memory from Crucial but I've been happy with their service on pc memory.

Also, OWC makes a big thing of a thermal sensor which Crucial doesn't mention but I e-mailed them and was told that Crucial memory does have a thermal sensor.

Each processor has three memory channels so works best with 3 memory modules per processor. If with the quad you have 8GB (4 x 2GB) then memory access will be a bit slower (how much so is open to debate - there have been many threads on it here if you search a bit). BUT in many circumstances this will be more than offset by the fact that some software runs much better with more memory - it depends on your usage.

Note, if you want to use 4GB modules then Crucial is very expensive (£900 for 12GB at present) so it would be a lot cheaper to import from OWC who charge less than half the price.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
I've always found Crucial to be good and its customer service excellent - but as Gonk42 says, OWC would be a better bet if you want 4GB modules.

The eBuyer one is compatible - but personally, with a purchase like this I would prefer to give my custom to Crucial (based on my experiences with both companies, although eBuyer has improved itself considerably since I had trouble with them).

PrincessPeach

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2009
I use Crucial. Filled up my early 2009 with their memory without a hitch.

I filled mine up as even with the decreased speed you have if you use the final bay, it is often made up for by the fact you have vastly more memory. I don't do anything where shaving time off memory access will make that big a difference so for me having the extra GBs was more valuable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.