Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JauCeKaden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Posted this elsewhere but decided to rename it. Basically I got a prepaid tmobile sidekick plan to use with my iphone. You pay $1 a day and get unlimed data all anonymously and with no contract. Mobile WAP FTW!!!

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
While I agree the price is GREAT-uggh I just can't imagine tethering on Edge. I do an occasional unofficial tether on 3G now and it is almost completely unbearable.

If I had to tether on Edge I think I would blow my brains out :)

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
So some months you'd be paying $31 for edge service? How is that good?

plus unlimited texts, no contract, no att bullsh*t

my tethering often works better than my att edge tethering did. lately its been slow but it might be my location as Im traveling

Woahskigner

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
Does this still work...?

I have an unlocked 2G, and I am seriously considering the 1$/day Sidekick deal, I think it's super sweet, + I will just use fring or skype for phone calls and save cash on that. But yeah, does this work for internet?

If so can you tell me the settings that I will need to make it work?

Okay, so I checked it... and this is definitely sweet. I just changed my plan on the tmobile site and bam, internet, etc. Very cool for $1 a day. Especially with fring and skype.

hiddenpremise

macrumors regular
I have an unlocked 2G, and I am seriously considering the 1$/day Sidekick deal, I think it's super sweet, + I will just use fring or skype for phone calls and save cash on that. But yeah, does this work for internet?

If so can you tell me the settings that I will need to make it work?

Okay, so I checked it... and this is definitely sweet. I just changed my plan on the tmobile site and bam, internet, etc. Very cool for $1 a day. Especially with fring and skype.

Get internet working http://collegexperience.net/technology/unlocked-iphone-2g-3-0-t-mobile-edge-not-working/

Get MMS working http://collegexperience.net/technology/get-mms-picutre-messaging-on-iphone-2g-3-0-t-mobile/

JauCeKaden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009

techage14

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2007
California
I can confirm that this works. I have an iPhone 3G with a T-Mo sim and unlocked via ultrasn0w. Internet and txt works flawlessly. Would recommend to people who don't talk much on their phones but, use internet and txt constantly. :D

JauCeKaden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
okay...update time. So I guess I jumped the gun a bit with claiming tethering works. I cant seem to get it to work on the prepaid plan although the carrier bundle I got from cydia claims it enables tethering. I tried to get an updated tmobile mobileconfig from http://help.benm.at but after installing my phone says I dont have a data plan, so had to uninstall. Kind of a bummer since the whole point of this (for me anyway) was to use this plan as a mobile WAP. Anyone have any ideas?

Its not all bad though. If you dont talk much, or use skype, its still a REALLY good deal. All the functions of the iphone, minus 3g, for 30 bucks a month and no freakin att contract...or any contract for that matter.

webhill

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
Not really sure if those work since "cellular network data" does not show up for me in 3.0. I just got the tmobile prepaid sidekick carrier bundle from cydia (modmyi repo)

The "cellular data network" tab is under settings > general > network on my iPhone running 3.0.....

jdmstar

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
mans got a point his perk is on a good month its 28 bucks and on a bad month its 31 but he gets unlmtd texting.

i on the other hand pay 9.99 for my line, 30.00 for unlimited 3g and 20.00 for unlimted text,

so thats roughly 60 bucks a month, plus minutes, but i got a way around that as well, i got the cheapest plan lmao. And i make all my calls over 3g :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.