Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jul 7, 2009, 06:30 PM   #1
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
Audacity question: moving tracks around

Hi!

Today I missed class, so my girlfriend used Audacity to record it, There were two different courses, but instead of creating a new project for each, she just created a new track, so now when playing and exporting, well, listening to two different teachers talk at the same time is confusing, to say the least.

I'm a complete ignorant when it comes to sound editing, so the question is: How can I copy one of the tracks and paste it into a new project so I can export each of them as a separate .mp3?
Copy and paste seem to be disabled/not working, and in the "File" drop menu, everything is greyed out...

Thanks for your help!
juanm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:58 PM   #2
spaceboots06
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Moro View Post
Hi!

Today I missed class, so my girlfriend used Audacity to record it, There were two different courses, but instead of creating a new project for each, she just created a new track, so now when playing and exporting, well, listening to two different teachers talk at the same time is confusing, to say the least.

I'm a complete ignorant when it comes to sound editing, so the question is: How can I copy one of the tracks and paste it into a new project so I can export each of them as a separate .mp3?
Copy and paste seem to be disabled/not working, and in the "File" drop menu, everything is greyed out...

Thanks for your help!
I myself am not familiar with audacity anymore; I haven't used it in 6 months easily, but I think you have to somehow convert the type of audio it is and then you'll be able to copy/paste it. Perhaps you can upload the project file and someone can take a look at it.
spaceboots06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 06:34 AM   #3
Dale Campbell
macrumors member

Several ways of doing it.

Easiest is probably just clicking mute on one of the tracks then you can export just the other, then repeat vica-versa.

Or

change from this tool which selects sections of audio (TOP ONE IN THUMBNAILS BELOW)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16002444@N07/3700326517/

to this tool which moves the tracks back and forward on the timeline (BOTTOM ONE IN THUMBNAILS BELOW

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16002444@N07/3701137988/

So you can just slide it so that they don't overlap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	3
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	181610  
Attached Images

Last edited by Dale Campbell; Jul 8, 2009 at 06:39 AM.
Dale Campbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:56 AM   #4
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
Hi guys, thanks! It's allright now. Closing and relaunching Audacity solved the disabled exporting problem...

Cheers!
juanm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio