Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmtran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
I have a 325 gb WD 3.5 IDE hard drive that I got for a replacement for a failed drive on an old Dell PC. I have since retired that computer and wanted to use the drive as an external drive, so I purchased a USB 2.0 IDE enclosure from Rosewill and installed the drive.

I partitioned/formatted the drive using Disk Utility and it looks good--mounts and everything. However, whenever I attempt to backup my using either SilverKeeper or SuperDuper!, it stalls after a few files.

I've tried it using a Powerbook G4 running 10.4.11, a Mac Mini with Leopard and a MBP--nothing works. Time Machine stalls as well.

Is there anyway I can make this drive work? I have other external HD (Seagate FreeAgent Firewire and Lacie Firewire) and they work without problems, so I think it may be because its an IDE drive in a USB enclosure.

thanks!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Just checking... did you format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

tmtran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Just checking... did you format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Yes, I did. Even did the GUID for my Intel based Macs and Apple for the Powerbook. No luck with any of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.