Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I wanted to check the apple documentation but apples site doesn't play well with my work proxy : /

I'm coming from C++ and learning Objective-C and I was working through an exercise in a book and I realize that a line in the exercise doesn't do what I thought it did. Here is the program: (I'll just write the important parts)

First here is part of the fraction class implementation file, notice it creates a memory leak.

Code:
-(Fraction *) add: (Fraction *) f
{
Fraction *result = [[Fraction alloc] init];

//other stuff here

return result;
}

Now here is part of main.

Code:
//At the top of main we have this here creating a new fraction object
Fraction *aFraction = [[Fraction alloc] init];
Fraction *sum = [[Fraction alloc] init], *sum2;

//stuff here, skipping down to the for loop

for (i = 1; i <= n; ++i)
{
[aFraction setTo: 1 over: pow2];

sum2 = [sum add: aFraction];
[sum release];

//Here it is....
sum = sum2;

I thought that when I released it I would be destroying the object but right underneath the release of sum it gets used again without being reallocated. Am all I doing is clearing the data stored in sum? Would I need to use some type of dealloc keyword to destroy the object?

ChOas

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2006
The Netherlands
First here is part of the fraction class implementation file, notice it creates a memory leak.

Not really... You return a pointer to the allocated memory, so you are free to release the memory later. It is not a real leak. (you didn't lose the pointer to the memory)

Code:
//At the top of main we have this here creating a new fraction object
Fraction *aFraction = [[Fraction alloc] init];
Fraction *sum = [[Fraction alloc] init], *sum2;

//stuff here, skipping down to the for loop

for (i = 1; i <= n; ++i)
{
[aFraction setTo: 1 over: pow2];

sum2 = [sum add: aFraction];
[sum release];

//Here it is....
sum = sum2;

I thought that when I released it I would be destroying the object but right underneath the release of sum it gets used again without being reallocated. Am all I doing is clearing the data stored in sum? Would I need to use some type of dealloc keyword to destroy the object?

When you alloc an object it has a retain count of 1 ... You can increase or decrease this retain count by using 'retain' or 'release'. Now, if your object receives a release when it has a retain count of 1 then it is assumed no other code is interested in the object, so the memory for the object can be de-allocated.

That is what is happening here.

1: sum2 is just a pointer to a fraction.
2: add: returns a pointer to an allocated fraction.
3: sum2 now points to the allocated fraction having a retain count of 1.
4: You release sum (retain now 0), thus deallocating the memory originally used by sum, leaving you with a usable/free pointer which you can point to any fraction again.
5: You let sum point to the same fraction as sum2 is pointing to.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Thank you for the clarification :)

It didn't hit me looking at the exercise that the pointer was never lost. It all makes sense now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.