Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
so i got my sister to join the team, her P4 2.4ghz just sits there all day - and she has a few diseases herself, so she could sympathize with the cause.

anyways, in task manager.. folding maxes out at 50%, and nothing else is going on, no other processes. she is running the text-only client.

anyone know how i can get it up to 90%-100% like on my Macs ?
it would be nice to get the full 2.4ghz for 20 hours a day, instead of 50% of it.

thanks

Nanuq

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2004
Near Millville, DE
Her computer probably is Hyper Threaded, meaning that it's one processor but it runs like there is two. So you need to set up another instance of folding with a machine ID of 2. Everything else can be set up the same. But make sure you use the -local flags on both instances when you run them. Are you setting it up to run as a service or in the startup items?

EDIT: and make sure you download a fresh fah4.exe file and seperate the two instances in seperate folders. ;)

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
you can also go into the task manager (ctrl-alt-del) and under the processes tab, find fahcore.exe, right click it, and set the priority to normal or aboveNormal. Don't set it to High or Realtime if you don't want your computer to crash tho.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
if the problem is indeed hyper threading, which i excpect it is, then u can turn it off in BIOS

i would research the benefits of hyper threading before doing this

Nanuq

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2004
Near Millville, DE
I believe I've read somewhere that the benefits of HyperThreading on folding results in nearly a [EDIT: 20-33%] increase in points production [for that machine]. I have no evidence of this, as I only have one machine that has hyper threading and haven't yet figured out how to get it to run as a service with no extra cost of having to buy FireDaemon Pro. I've been trying to figure out the free way with srvany and what not, but have not been able to get it to work correctly yet.

Just my 2 cents.

cjc343

macrumors 6502
Nanuq said:
I believe I've read somewhere that the benefits of HyperThreading on folding results in nearly a 20% increase in points production [for that machine]. I have no evidence of this, as I only have one machine that has hyper threading and haven't yet figured out how to get it to run as a service with no extra cost of having to buy FireDaemon Pro. I've been trying to figure out the free way with srvany and what not, but have not been able to get it to work correctly yet.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't know if this works well but, http://www.shroomery.org/files/fahsi/

Nanuq

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2004
Near Millville, DE
cjc343 said:
I don't know if this works well but, http://www.shroomery.org/files/fahsi/

Already tried it, for one reason or another it would only start up one instance of folding. The other wouldn't start up, and then when I quit the instance, the other started up, kept doing that... I might try it again, I was really tired when I tried it, and now that I have a clear head, maybe I can get it to work...

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
cjc343 said:
also: during the configuration process, it asks how much of the processor's time to request. If this was set to 50, it will only get 50%
Is there a way to do this in OS X? I really can't stand having my PB's fans running all the time. Thanks.

Nanuq

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2004
Near Millville, DE
To my [limited] knowledge, there is not. In the windows CLI, it's part of the advanced setting when you config the client. This option is missing from the OS X CLI.

Again, there may be a way to do it another way, but I have no knowledge of it.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
t^3 said:
Is there a way to do this in OS X? I really can't stand having my PB's fans running all the time. Thanks.

If your are using the script of mc68k, you can do it in the advanced options. You can run your idles proc power at 50% for folding.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
alright guys, i had a look at my sister's P4 today. in task manager it shows the Folding Core or whatever (cant remember ) at 50%, and then "System Idle Process" at 49-50%. The Machine does have hyper threading.

I also noticed that on average it does a single gromac frame (1-100) every 5 and a half minutes :eek: . freaking fast compared to my G4 867mhz!!

it would seem that its okay? is this the case? or is the machine - in fact only folding at 1/2 of its potential. i'd love to know because if i can double its output it would be a good boost in production. thanks.

cjc343

macrumors 6502
system idle processes only run when nothing else is running, so no, you are not getting maximum output.

Speed varies for different work units, although with Tinkers, Windows is faster because it can take advantages of things that Macs can't

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
The reason its only at 50% is because of the hyperthreading already mentioned. Starting up another instance isn't going to gain you anything because hyperthreading only works on two different type processes.

For example, if your cpu is already building a car (i.e. running folding@home) it can easily build a truck at the same time (i.e. encode an mp3), but it can't build another car because the car assembly line is already in use. Does this make sense?

My P4 2.4@3.2 is also only hitting 50% cpu usage when running folding@home. Don't sweat it, as you already found out, its going to be leaps and bounds above any G4 processor.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
so in other words, in folding terms - it is currently processing WU's at its full potential?

If that is the case , then great - if that isn't the case then GREATER and i'd like to double the output please. hehehe.

Soc7777777

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2004
question... what the hell is folding... and why is it done

this may sound like a dumb question to everyone here... but what is folding... and why are there teams... please give me details... i might want to join in... (i have 2 P4 computers... a 1.3ghz and a 2.6ghz and this pentium m 1.2ghz and we also have a dothan pentium m 2ghz in the house)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Soc7777777 said:
this may sound like a dumb question to everyone here... but what is folding... and why are there teams... please give me details... i might want to join in... (i have 2 P4 computers... a 1.3ghz and a 2.6ghz and this pentium m 1.2ghz and we also have a dothan pentium m 2ghz in the house)

You should read this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/21908/

cjc343

macrumors 6502
Soc7777777 said:

Folding is a distributed computing project that attempts to figure out why proteins misfold, how they fold, and what goes wrong.

There are teams (at least in my opinion) because it increases the amount of power that people put into the project because there is more competition.

There is a team FAQ thread here.

I hope you decide to join.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Dreadnought said:
no. If you disable hyperthreading, you will double the processor power for folding when it's sitting idle.

No, you should NOT disable hyperthreading. It improves performance, disabling it will NOT help. Disabling has nothing to do with idle time processing, or improving the speed of single tasks through the CPU. It simply adds the ability for the CPU to be doing to different tasks at once.

Disabling hyperthreading will slow down your system, not speed it up.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
thanks guys, i will leave it as:is
5 and a half minutes a frame is good enough. i am averaging 68 points a day with the help of that machine, so i can't complain.

cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.