|Jul 9, 2009, 12:40 PM||#1|
Iomega Minimax hard drive problems, again! Anyone else?
Hi all, thanks for the previous help about my Iomega Minimax 500 GB hard drive.
Miraculously, one day it just appeared on my desktop again after I thought it had died. (I have 2 Macs, so it's not them that is the problem), so it's been working again.
Now again it is not appearing on either of my computers. Switched on and off, used different cables, again after a few hours it appeared on one of them. Went out, came back home, again same problem, no icon appears, not recognized in disc utillity etc etc.
WTF! Any body had the same problems with this hard drive? I have rang the Apple Store who were useless, they referred me to Iomega where they where I spoke to a 'live chat' guy, then phoned a number and they said it could be something to do with the external casing?. If I have to retrieve the data he said it could cost £500!!!!
I would like to hear from anybody who has experienced similar problems or anybody who may know what the problem is. I HATE this hard drive, it was recommended to me by the 'Geniuses' at the Apple Store, and I've had nothing but problems and they are no help what so ever. Very Angry!!!
It is now my mission to write as many bad online reviews about this piece of ******!
|Jul 9, 2009, 12:46 PM||#2|
PS. Linking 2 hard drives, how?
If I were to buy another hard drive to duplicate my files of my existing Iomega Minimax 500 GB hard drive, (if I get it working again), how would I connect them? I have 2 Macs, I'm guessing I would just them both to the same computer via firewire or USB and both icons should appear on the desktop, where I will be able to just copy & paste?
Thanks for your help
|Jun 13, 2011, 05:00 AM||#3|
Sounds like im having the same problem! I have managed to get some of the data off safely when it randomly mounts on my Mac, but not all, as after a few minutes it drops out and either the mac says it was incorrectly ejected or an error message appears stating the files cant be copied as they are in use.
Did you ever solve the problem with this damn hard drive?
Can anyone else help please?
|Jun 13, 2011, 10:23 AM||#4|
"If I were to buy another hard drive to duplicate my files of my existing Iomega Minimax 500 GB hard drive, (if I get it working again), how would I connect them? I have 2 Macs, I'm guessing I would just them both to the same computer via firewire or USB and both icons should appear on the desktop, where I will be able to just copy & paste?"
1. Get something like this:
(Many items shown, they all work the same way, pick one you like that's cheap)
2. Take the "core drive" OUT OF the Iomega enclosure.
3. Hook up the dock via USB to your Mac. Put the "bare drive" into the dock. Power up.
4. Does the drive now "show right up" on the desktop? If so, your problems were with the enclosure/power supply. The core/bare drive itself is fine.
5. For more storage capacity, you can just get another bare drive from the vendor of your choice (I prefer newegg.com).
6. There are some "2-bay" USB/SATA docking stations out there. I can't say how well they work with the Mac, however (I've never used one). Although a single docking station works fine with the Mac, be aware that if you hook TWO of them up, sometimes there can be irregularities -- the Mac can "see" both docks as being "from the same place" and get them confused. Sometimes things are fine. The only way to be sure is to try....
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|iOmega 2TB External Hard Drive suddenly not working||Hexakosioi||Mac Peripherals||2||Jun 27, 2013 07:09 PM|
|Hard Drive Problems||ring2theworm||MacBook Pro||0||May 7, 2013 07:56 AM|
|iOmega portable hard drive needs reformatting - how?||playethic||Mac Basics and Help||17||Jan 13, 2013 12:22 AM|
|Trouble using an Iomega external hard drive with macbook||Meg707||Mac Peripherals||1||Jan 1, 2013 05:17 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.