Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duke Leto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
Alright, so I created a simple gravity simulation. By simple, I mean it has a good amount of features, but is not very user-friendly. (I am an introverted programmer, what do you expect!)

So here is the link to the new download: http://www.mediafire.com/?xyyw1zyvblw
(requires 10.5)

Features:
- add planets
- change velocities of planets
- zoom in/ zoom out
- move planets, change color
- draws paths of each planet
- graph (can change values of x & y axis)
- uses the Dormand-Prince tableau for an accurate simulation (Runge-Kutta)
- others
- ** new ** zoom with scroll bar

Known Issues:
- ** Fixed **If you add a planet after the simulation started, there is a chance it will crash (this will be fixed momentarily)
- No help file
- Graph does not show values (will be fixed by next week)
- ** Fixed **After pausing, the velocity arrows show up again in the wrong position (will be fixed soon, possibly by tomorrow)
- Simulation is slow if you are drawing lines for a while

Files in the download package:
- Gravita.app
- Solar Systems (Folder)

Each "Solar System" is a file that I pre-created. These show off the accuracies, inaccuracies, and abilities of Gravita. (My personal favorite is systemsOrbit.solar)

I am hoping that fellow developers in this community will have advice, comments, and questions. If you want some source code, you can ask me, but the code is messy and uncommented, (Sorry about my unhealthy coding habits), but somewhat follows MVC and KVC.

All the icons were made by myself except for the saturn file icon, which I will replace.

I know that it is unpolished, so questions and comments about my beta are very much appreciated.
:D

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
First, it's awesome. :cool:

A few things:

How the heck do you zoom? Could you put zooming on the scroll ball?

Add the ability to choose the size of the body being created, instead of being random.

And what's the blurry planet for?

Duke Leto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
Thanks!!

This is exactly the kind of input I need.

THe blurry planet: change velocity tool (I tried to make a motion blur sorry about that) Click and drag to edit.

Zoom in: cmd down
Zoom out: cmd up

And yes, I will allow you to change the size, but right now you can change the radius using the "Starting Values" tab of the inspector.
(Make sure the planet is selected, it will have a white ring around it.)

Tomorrow, I will have an update with new features and bug fixes - I have already done a little, but it would be too cumbersome to re-upload and post after each new successful implementation of a feature.

P.S. if you have any comments at all, please post. I would love to hear input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.