Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rzacharia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
I've had an intermittent problem for some time (perhaps since Jaguar), where my computer simple goes to a black screen after I enter in my password when the screen saver is enabled. I would say it happens 1 out of 20 times that the screen saver is enabled--but when it does happen the only thing I can do to regain access is turn off the machine and turn it back on.

Computer Specifics:
TiBook 800 MHz
1GB RAM
60GB HD (28.17GB available)
Running 10.3.4, Build 7H63
Programs I use regularly: Safari, Mail, AIM, iTunes, Word, iCal, WeatherMenu, iSeek, MenuCalendar

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Yes this a common problem in Panther and is not in Jaguar.

The temporary solution seems to be to turn off crash logging.

Please see these threads, specially the first one.

Apple Discussions

Another thread

But if it ever happens again before you Force Shutdown try:

A command-shift-Q at that point to initiate a logout. It may or may not work.

rzacharia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Frisco, thanks for the info. It's weird that Apple hasn't really addressed this issue.

I disabled CrashReporter--hope it works. What is the downside to disabling it?

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
rzacharia said:
Frisco, thanks for the info. It's weird that Apple hasn't really addressed this issue.

I disabled CrashReporter--hope it works. What is the downside to disabling it?

If your computer crashes you won't have a log of the crash. But it's better than Force Shutdown which is bad for the hard drive. Of course if your computer ever starts crashing then you are going to turn Crash Reporter back on to see what is causing your problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.