Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snwcrshx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
I've been using Plex for a little bit now, and love having everything under one roof. However, I notice that when streaming netflix through Plex I get a worse picture than if I just stream the film through Safari. Likewise, Plex is unable to receive the higher quality image stream from Hulu. Is this the case with Boxee as well?

Currently I'm using Safari/Hulu Desktop for streaming and Plex for everything else, but it certainly would be nice to be back under one program again.

Thank you for any insight you have!

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
I find this VERY hard to believe that you get better quality through Safari than Plex, unless of course the Plex Netflix client is just a flash application as well. You will be able to tell if they have the exact same interface.
If this is in fact the case, Plex and Boxee will both have the same lower quality because the applications add extra overhead on top of the already grossly inefficient Flash player.

marklight

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2006
With Hulu, you need to have your Hulu account set to automatically use the 480p stream (check you Hulu account settings), so in Plex you get the highest quality video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.