Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Jul 10, 2009, 09:08 AM   #1
JustLikeYou
macrumors member

AE CS4 on 13" MBP?

Hey guys! So I've been browsing, and I'm pretty sure this is where I should be posting this question. If not, sorry... ... I haven't posted in quite some time.

Anyhow, I'm a design student and for the past year and a half I've been using my 13" 2.16 model macbook for all my design work, paired with a 22" widescreen Samsung LCD monitor. I always told myself I would get a 15" or 17" MBP for my senior year and for the "real world", but honestly, I've fallen in love with the portability of my 13" when not in the class or in my room connected to the external monitor.

When they made the announcement of the upgrades for the "new" 13" MBP, I really started considering that instead. However, up to this point, I've only used the Design Premium CS3, and I need to upgrade to CS4 to get After Effects. My question is, do you think the 13" MBP would be able to handle it? I won't be doing any major 3D work (unless you consider converting 2D text and vector layers to 3D layers), and it will mostly be motion graphics that aren't really 3D render heavy. I know the interface will feel a bit squished, since the resolution requirements are 100 pixels higher than the 13" screen allows, but again, I compensate for that by attaching to the 22" widescreen when I'm not "on the go"

So opinions? Do you think the computer will physically be able to handle it? Or will I have to go with the bulkier 15" model?
JustLikeYou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:23 AM   #2
lucidmedia
macrumors 6502a

I have done "light" AE work as you describe on my macbook air (rev b) and been pleased with it, so I don't think you should have major issues. Handles it just fine! Like you, I do plug in to a larger monitor when in studio tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLikeYou View Post
Hey guys! So I've been browsing, and I'm pretty sure this is where I should be posting this question. If not, sorry... ... I haven't posted in quite some time.

Anyhow, I'm a design student and for the past year and a half I've been using my 13" 2.16 model macbook for all my design work, paired with a 22" widescreen Samsung LCD monitor. I always told myself I would get a 15" or 17" MBP for my senior year and for the "real world", but honestly, I've fallen in love with the portability of my 13" when not in the class or in my room connected to the external monitor.

When they made the announcement of the upgrades for the "new" 13" MBP, I really started considering that instead. However, up to this point, I've only used the Design Premium CS3, and I need to upgrade to CS4 to get After Effects. My question is, do you think the 13" MBP would be able to handle it? I won't be doing any major 3D work (unless you consider converting 2D text and vector layers to 3D layers), and it will mostly be motion graphics that aren't really 3D render heavy. I know the interface will feel a bit squished, since the resolution requirements are 100 pixels higher than the 13" screen allows, but again, I compensate for that by attaching to the 22" widescreen when I'm not "on the go"

So opinions? Do you think the computer will physically be able to handle it? Or will I have to go with the bulkier 15" model?
lucidmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 01:03 PM   #3
JustLikeYou
macrumors member

Hey, thanks. Yeah... if your Air can run it, I should be fine. I always thought the bias against the little computers was funny... every time I had a problem with a file, my teacher's response was always "Well, your first problem is this computer..." even though it never crashed or froze or anything.

I've been test-running the After Effects CS4 download on my current macbook the past couple days to see how it runs... I've got the one with the GMA 950 chip and 2GB ram... and it's been slow but runs it, so I'm sure the new 13" MBP will do fine.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 02:07 PM   #4
NathanCH
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to NathanCH
It's a shame you need to go to CS4 to get AE. CS4 is way heavier than CS3 in my experience.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 02:27 PM   #5
JustLikeYou
macrumors member

Yeah, I would like to keep CS3, but I can't buy After Effects separately... unless I want to spend $500. But in that case, I can just go through my school and get the whole Master Collection CS4 for the same $500, which is what I'm doing (yes, it's real, not an upgrade or partial programs... my school gets awesome deals on adobe and apple products for some reason).

We also get pretty good discounts above and beyond apple's education pricing as well. $1050 for the new base model 13" MBP and $1500 for the base model 15" one. Score. I love being a student.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:21 PM   #6
lucidmedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanCH View Post
It's a shame you need to go to CS4 to get AE. CS4 is way heavier than CS3 in my experience.
Personally, on the Air, I found CS4's performance much better... mainly due to the hardware/graphics acceleration.
lucidmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:29 AM   #7
OCSpersonel
macrumors regular

i have the UMB 2.4 with 4 gigs of ram, it runs after effects perfectly. i havent done anything incredible but i havent had an issue with it yet
OCSpersonel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 03:11 PM   #8
poematik14
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLikeYou View Post
Yeah, I would like to keep CS3, but I can't buy After Effects separately... unless I want to spend $500. But in that case, I can just go through my school and get the whole Master Collection CS4 for the same $500, which is what I'm doing (yes, it's real, not an upgrade or partial programs... my school gets awesome deals on adobe and apple products for some reason).
Or you could just get it on torrents.
poematik14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:23 AM   #9
jive
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to jive
I have CS4 running (Photoshop, Illustrator, DreamWeaver and After Effects at once most of the time tbh) perfectly well on my 13" MBP with SSH and 4Gb RAM.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics