Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Wondering if someone can help....my MB hadnt be cleaned in a while, so I ran Onyx this morning while I was out to fix permissions and clean up. After it was done, I opened VM Fusion to boot up Windows as I needed to work on that side and now it wont connect to the internet. My OSX side connects fine, but the Windows side wont connect! Did Onyx do something to VM Fusion??

I also tried renewing the IP address on the Windows side, but it told me it couldnt do it.

I dont know anything about Onyx as far as what it does to permissions, where or why, but does anyone else know what it could have done? And how to fix it? Thanks,

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I am not aware of anything in Onyx that would affect your VMware virtual machine. I have run Onyx in the past with no ill effects on mine.

I think you probably need to look elsewhere for an explanation.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

P Mentior

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Ohio
The same thing is happening to my Fusion. It stopped connecting to the internet and I couldn't figure out why. now that I think about it I did use Onyx a little while ago but I'm not sure as to when the internet stopped working and when I ran Onyx.

Just as a question, are you running Fusion through a bootcamp partition or a VM file?

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Ok, well I managed to get it working, but not exactly as before and I still dont understand why or how Onyx even touched my connection. :mad:

But, somehow my network adapter got disconnected. Previously, I had a network connection setup in Windows that I could see it connecting in my task tray when I booted it up,that is now gone...however I rebooted Windows and it does now seem to be working. My virtual network adapater in the bottom of my VM Fusion window let me reconnect I believe. Lets just hope it stays that way. I also may be looking for a new cleaner besides Onyx if I will have problems whenver I run it.

BTW, I am running VM Fusion as an application, not really partitioned I dont think.

P Mentior

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Ohio
BTW, I am running VM Fusion as an application, not really partitioned I dont think.

What I'm asking is whether you have windows installed on a boot camp partition or just through VM Ware. Now that I look back at my first question I see it is quite confusing but I assure you that it sounded fine when I first wrote it but sometimes the old noggin will do that...;)

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
What I'm asking is whether you have windows installed on a boot camp partition or just through VM Ware. Now that I look back at my first question I see it is quite confusing but I assure you that it sounded fine when I first wrote it but sometimes the old noggin will do that...;)

Heehee, sorry. Im not 100% knowledgeable about this myself, I just know that it works for what I need :p I just have it installed using VM Ware. I did not use Boot Camp at all. Hope that makes it clearer.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

Understood, and that is why I said your Virtual Machine and not your Boot Camp Partition. VMware creates a Virtual Machine that you run Windows from.

User -> Documents -> Virtual Machines

I have looked at the settings for Onyx and I still can't see anything that would affect your settings

I think there is another explanation, although I am not prepared to offer one

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

P Mentior

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Ohio
Ok. If you used bootcamp I would have suggested you try to resetup Fusion and see if that would have helped, which is what I''m trying right now.
Now that I look at mine it looks like it isn't passing my wireless connection through properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.