Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IBobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Show Low, AZ
Does anyone know if just a standard 3 prong would work with this? i just bought an imac off of ebay and it didn't come with one... i don't want to spend 30bucks on a cable when i can pick one up from radio shack for 10... :).

Thanks.

Echoes

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2007
47º20'N 79º26'W
Won't fit

A standard 3-prong power cable will definitely not fit in there. Contact pins are round, not flat as they should be. The socket also has a "Mickey Mouse" shape.

Is this cable really 30 bucks? Geez... When I got my iMac G4, it had no power cable. I was able to get one for free from a guy working in a high school computer lab. I got lucky I guess! I was going to weld wires to the pins in order to adapt a standard power socket!

Congratulations for your purchase! It's a great machine, even thought it's a bit outdated... I totally love mine. Runs Leopard OK with 1.5 GB of RAM.

Attachments

• Image 1.png
    Image 1.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 95

IBobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Show Low, AZ
A standard 3-prong power cable will definitely not fit in there. Contact pins are round, not flat as they should be. The socket also has a "Mickey Mouse" shape.

Is this cable really 30 bucks? Geez... When I got my iMac G4, it had no power cable. I was able to get one for free from a guy working in a high school computer lab. I got lucky I guess! I was going to weld wires to the pins in order to adapt a standard power socket!

Congratulations for your purchase! It's a great machine, even thought it's a bit outdated... I totally love mine. Runs Leopard OK with 1.5 GB of RAM.

This looks just like the pins though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.