Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I just received a call from Nielson Ratings. I am assuming this is the same ratings company that logs television viewership. Anyways, the rep wanted to know how many Macs I had in my household, if any, and what speed they connected to the internet.

They also asked if I was an AOL user. I just found this interesting since we usually get our Marketshare research from other not so reputable sources like Cnet.

Anyone else got this call?

sambo.

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
outback, far from the surf
ummmmmmm

did they have to ask if you owned a Mac or a PC? i would be very worried if ratings companies knew what i owned before calling me up (unless i had filled in some form somewhere, like in INK, not on the web.....) :cool:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wow, what does that have to do with anything? I'd tell them to skip that question and move on... If they want TV viewer info regarding shows, then cool, but if they asked me "Do you own a Mac?", or "How tall are you?", or "What did you eat for dinner tonight?", then I'm not answering. Completely irrelevent as far as I'm concerned. :)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Gherkin said:
And what TV shows you view isn't irrelevent?

Not to broadcasters who use the ratings to help determine how much they charge for commerical air time. And not the companies that are buying that air time.

Lethal

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If a poll conductor that finds the view numbers for TV shows and all things television related is asking me my shoe size, or what my turn-on's are, it's completely dodgy. Same with asking about my Mac. If I say I'll participate in the poll, fine, but I'll only answer questions related to the shows, or maybe some info like my age so that they can categorize me properly.

If they're categorizing viewers in terms of what computers they use, that is truly weird.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
joshuawaire said:
I just received a call from Nielson Ratings. I am assuming this is the same ratings company that logs television viewership. Anyways, the rep wanted to know how many Macs I had in my household, if any, and what speed they connected to the internet.

They also asked if I was an AOL user. I just found this interesting since we usually get our Marketshare research from other not so reputable sources like Cnet.

Anyone else got this call?
Unless you are leaving out a lot of your conversation with the caller, I tend to believe that the caller was not from Nielson. It seems that this person called you because he knew that you are a Mac user. Nielson does random samples and, as you relate it, this was not random. Certainly before I give out any kind of information of that sort, I insist on the caller telling me who he or she is.

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
??

who cares if someone you don't know now knows you have a mac, why should that be a secret? i don't think them knowing you own a mac should be put in the same category as knowing your shoe-size and turn-ons.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
They did NOT ask me anything about my television habbits. I could careless who knows I have a Mac, and who doesn't. However, he simply asked if I owned a Computer? How many Macs, if any? What type of internet connection do you use? How long have you been using the internet? Are you an AOL subscriber?

That was it. Short and sweet. He actually gave me his name, and a number to contact Nielsen for verification. But, I was in the middle of cooking dinner so I didn't even take the information down.

I just didn't realize Nielsen did anything more than TV, but just doing a quick check around the net shows they monitor broadband usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.