Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:30 PM   #1
Astin
macrumors regular

Unable to Jailbreak/enter DFU mode

So my fiancee decided she wants her iPhone jailbroken. I've jailbroken mine several times now, and I feel that I know what I'm doing..

However, with her phone, when I open up redsn0w and load up the IPSW, it goes through the steps like "Hold the power button for 5 seconds".."Hold the power AND home button for 10 seconds".."Release the power button, but keep holding the home button for 30 seconds"

With my fiancee's phone, it doesn't reboot after I release the power button while still holding the home button.. And redsn0w just stalls at "Waiting for reboot"

Heeeeellpppp!
Astin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:46 PM   #2
ichabodkky
macrumors member

Are they the same model of iPhones? I tried to jailbreak my sons 3G with redsn0w .8 and it did the same thing. I downloaded 7.2. and it worked for his phone. Restore the phone in iTunes.... and make sure you have the correct ipsw. My 3GS errored out the same way when I tried to use the 3G ipsw with redsn0w .8.
ichabodkky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:49 PM   #3
isaaclimdc
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to isaaclimdc
Try quitting iTunes, and following the steps VERY VERY exactly.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 12:00 AM   #4
Astin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabodkky View Post
Are they the same model of iPhones? I tried to jailbreak my sons 3G with redsn0w .8 and it did the same thing. I downloaded 7.2. and it worked for his phone. Restore the phone in iTunes.... and make sure you have the correct ipsw. My 3GS errored out the same way when I tried to use the 3G ipsw with redsn0w .8.
Both are iPhone 3G running the 3.0 firmware.

I had jailbreaken hers back when she was running 2.1, but then she wanted to upgrade to 3.0 and I told her I'd re-jailbreak it afterwards. I'll try it again though, wish me luck!
Old Jul 11, 2009, 12:12 AM   #5
Astin
macrumors regular

Same issue coming up... Should I try restoring the phone and doing it again?
Old Jul 11, 2009, 12:43 AM   #6
chrisms
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astin View Post
So my fiancee decided she wants her iPhone jailbroken. I've jailbroken mine several times now, and I feel that I know what I'm doing..

However, with her phone, when I open up redsn0w and load up the IPSW, it goes through the steps like "Hold the power button for 5 seconds".."Hold the power AND home button for 10 seconds".."Release the power button, but keep holding the home button for 30 seconds"

With my fiancee's phone, it doesn't reboot after I release the power button while still holding the home button.. And redsn0w just stalls at "Waiting for reboot"

Heeeeellpppp!
It's hold down both for 10, then hold down home for 10, that might be your problem
chrisms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 12:46 AM   #7
Astin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisms View Post
It's hold down both for 10, then hold down home for 10, that might be your problem
I'm going by what redsn0w is telling me.. I'll try your way..

EDIT
-----
redsn0w starts the countdown at 30, but stops at 20 and goes to the next step, where it still stalls at "waiting for reboot", and the iPhone is in the off mode.

Arggghhhhh

EDIT AGAIN
------------
So after redsn0w stalls at "waiting for reboot", and the iPhone is in the off mode, I just went through the DFU steps again (Power, Power+Home, Home) and now it's working.... straaaange. Well thank you for the help guys! My fiancee won't hate me after all for ruining her jailbreak powers hehehe.

EDIT AGAIN AGAIN
------------------
So now her phone is taking an extra long time at the "Jailbreaking your phone" part of redsn0w, the phone's backlit screen is lit, but there is no activity.. I'll give it 20-30 minutes before I come back and update again..

Last edited by Astin; Jul 11, 2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 01:15 AM   #8
Astin
macrumors regular

So after 15 or so minutes, the screen just went black and it went back to the lockscreen, without Cydia installed, so I'm assuming the jailbreak failed, ugh...

Any ideas?
Old Jul 12, 2009, 06:39 AM   #9
Fungie
macrumors newbie

Cool what to do when her iPhone doesn't like you?

:> so many people have problems with redsn0w??!?!? Try using Pwnage - it works on my phone and since your girlfriend's iPhone is now stuck on a half way bridge you might as well. Remember to restore her iPhone back to firmware 3.0 - which you can get from link below. THEN do the jailbreak again >.>

iPhone 3G 3.0 Jailbreak!!

So here's instructions that are relatively idiot proof:

1 ------ So first go to: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-...wnagetool.html

Download Pwnage + Firmware and follow instructions.

+++ Even if you phone was jailbroken before - it's best to choose "no" when Pwnage asks if it was jb before.

2 ------ THEN - don't sync your applications yet, I had tons of cracked apps and waited but it doesn't sync... since obviously you need another program. So now go into Cydia:

Click on "Manage"
Tap ''Sources''
Choose "Edit"
Choose "Add"
Type "http://cydia.hackulo.us"
Tap "Add Source"
Wait....
Back to Cydia
Click "Changes"
Press on AppSync 3.0
Install at own's risk....
Wait some more.............
Reboot...
SYNC AWAY
Dont worry this actually works well.. I tested it!

For pretty pictured guide: http://hackulo.us/idiotsguide/viewar...a=addhackulous
Fungie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 02:59 PM   #10
Astin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungie View Post
:> so many people have problems with redsn0w??!?!? Try using Pwnage - it works on my phone and since your girlfriend's iPhone is now stuck on a half way bridge you might as well. Remember to restore her iPhone back to firmware 3.0 - which you can get from link below. THEN do the jailbreak again >.>

iPhone 3G 3.0 Jailbreak!!

So here's instructions that are relatively idiot proof:

1 ------ So first go to: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-...wnagetool.html

Download Pwnage + Firmware and follow instructions.

+++ Even if you phone was jailbroken before - it's best to choose "no" when Pwnage asks if it was jb before.

2 ------ THEN - don't sync your applications yet, I had tons of cracked apps and waited but it doesn't sync... since obviously you need another program. So now go into Cydia:

Click on "Manage"
Tap ''Sources''
Choose "Edit"
Choose "Add"
Type "http://cydia.hackulo.us"
Tap "Add Source"
Wait....
Back to Cydia
Click "Changes"
Press on AppSync 3.0
Install at own's risk....
Wait some more.............
Reboot...
SYNC AWAY
Dont worry this actually works well.. I tested it!

For pretty pictured guide: http://hackulo.us/idiotsguide/viewar...a=addhackulous
I'm running Windows, not OSX.. so that pwnagetool won't work.. Hmm..

-----
EDIT
-----

Ok, after reading through that link, I noticed a slight difference between the ISPW I was using, and the one that was in the forum.. I was using iPhone1,1_3.0 and in the thread it stated iPhone1,2_3.0

Now it's working, hoorah!

Last edited by Astin; Jul 12, 2009 at 03:26 PM.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks