Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjpoch

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
My Magsafe charger started acting really odd today. It started with the light not working when I was charging the computer. Even tough the light didn't come on the computer still said it was charging. I unplugged it for a bit & plunged it back in. This time the light came on & it was green even though it wasn't fully charged. But now when i unplug it, the light stays on as long as its plugged into the wall. The only thing I've changed lately is I replaced the hard drive, but its been about a week and this just started happening tonight. Has anyone else run into this? I just don't want this to catch on fire or something if there's an issue.

Attachments

• IMG_6426.gif
    IMG_6426.gif
    212 KB · Views: 2,128

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I got this charger as a replacement from AppleCare, but its run out now.

I'm pretty sure that it will still be covered. I think that items that are replaced under AppleCare have their warranties extended. I could be wrong though. My VGA->Mini DVI adaptor worked that way.

Don

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I'm not saying this is normal for a MagSafe, but my Dell Studio 540 has a light on the back of the PSU and that stays lit for about 15 seconds after it is unplugged. The same thing happens with my mom's Studio 1537, except the light is on the power cord.

tjpoch

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Well today the Magsafe light isn't staying on when I unplug, but after I plug it in my computer goes to sleep. Maybe the charger is on its way out...

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
This could be a failing Magsafe - perhaps the light staying on was an " Impending Fire Alert ".

Could be some wire problems inside the cable near one of the ends causing the problem and perhaps a fire if use is continued.

Best to REPLACE that one!

tjpoch

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah, I've made an apt for today at the local Apple Store, lets hope they replace it.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Unplug it and take a q-tip or something dry (or wet w/ alcohol if you dare) and clean off the contacts, specifically the one in the middle, which is the charge control pin. IF that doesn't work, trash it.

tjpoch

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Unplug it and take a q-tip or something dry (or wet w/ alcohol if you dare) and clean off the contacts, specifically the one in the middle, which is the charge control pin. IF that doesn't work, trash it.

Thats pretty much what they did at the Apple Store. They found a really small metal shaving magnetically attached to the computer side connection. She cleaned that out then ran a diagnostic on the power supply, the computer & the battery. Other than my battery being over charge cycles, everything registered as working well. So we will see what happens, if I have any other problems, I'm going to trash it & get a new charger.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I signed up on this forum just to tell you that this actually worked. It gave my tongue a terribly sharp muscle constriction worse than a 9v battery albeit only briefly, but it fixed it... thanks.

Thanks for reviving a 8 years old thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.