Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 11, 2009, 04:40 PM   #1
aendaman
macrumors member

Exclamation Custom SMS tones w/o Jailbreak

Can people who find that sensible please send feedback to Apple such that we can hope for a future update that allows for that?
I mean they finally allowed to customize ringtones but not sms tones? WTF

Last edited by aendaman; Jul 14, 2009 at 04:53 AM.
aendaman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Moi un Mouton
macrumors 68000

Why not just jailbreak if you feel so strongly? Apple have their ideas, the jailbreak community has different ones. Come over to the dark side, Luke. You'll enjoy it.

(BTW, your nickname would be great in Star Wars )
Moi un Mouton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 03:12 AM   #3
aendaman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moi un Mouton View Post
Why not just jailbreak if you feel so strongly? Apple have their ideas, the jailbreak community has different ones. Come over to the dark side, Luke. You'll enjoy it.
That might become an option indeed...

Quote:
(BTW, your nickname would be great in Star Wars )
How so? (I am not too much into Star Wars)
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:46 AM   #4
Moi un Mouton
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aendaman View Post
How so? (I am not too much into Star Wars)
I just thought "aendaman" looked like a starwars-style alien name. Train of thought from the reference to the dark side. No offence!
Moi un Mouton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:42 PM   #5
B737
macrumors 6502a

ive said this before...

seriously, what is apples beef with us customizing our SMS tones? it is a fundamental function of ANY cell phone, how is it NOT incorporated into this device?! its absurd!

i just dont understand their line of thought in locking users out of basic customization, especially something like an alert.

Changing my alert sounds was the PRIMARY reason i jailbroke my first, and current iPhones.

even though when im out in public my phone is on vibrate, i cant help but think how mundane it is when i hear someones stock alert sound go off. i almost feel bad. like apple expects us to be lemmings or something.

to the OP, take matters into your own hands, jailbreak your phone in 5 minutes, make your own alert sounds, be different and be happy
B737 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 04:22 AM   #6
aendaman
macrumors member

Quote:
I just thought "aendaman" looked like a starwars-style alien name. Train of thought from the reference to the dark side. No offence!
I prefer to keep open all options - dark/bright/grey sides included but i am not quite sure anymore

Last edited by aendaman; Jul 15, 2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:22 AM   #7
Acronym
macrumors 65816

I jailroke my 3GS just so i could have custom sms sounds, only things i installed are SBSettings and winterboard.

all i need really, i might put status notifier on but i dont want to much on my iphone.
Acronym is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 02:17 AM   #8
aendaman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acronym View Post
I jailroke my 3GS just so i could have custom sms sounds, only things i installed are SBSettings and winterboard.

all i need really, i might put status notifier on but i dont want to much on my iphone.
And there are really no drawbacks whatsoever?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 03:59 AM   #9
Acronym
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aendaman View Post
And there are really no drawbacks whatsoever?
actualy im not sure if this is jailbreak related but when im in the camera app the screen tends to flicker and sometims the camera "screen shutter" doesnt even open. i also noticed that the copy and paste function of the phone is a bit wonky ie copying text from safari then trying to paste it wont work infact when you try nothing happens except when you type the last key you pressed is "stuck" in the pressed key view.

those are somethings i have noticed since i jailbroke my iphone 3GS but springboard resets and the likes are way faster.
Acronym is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 04:51 AM   #10
aendaman
macrumors member

Hmm, on the other hand, risking all that what I've read so far about problems with jailbroken iPhones here and elsewhere, just for one custom sms tone? I'm not so sure...
Haven't given up hope that Apple allows customization of sms tones in a future update... and why shouldn't they? In the end it's nothing else than a custom ringtone.

So, folks: bombard Apple with enhancement requests for custom sms tones!!!

Last edited by aendaman; Jul 14, 2009 at 04:56 AM.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting