Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evrock3600

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Can I put the iPhone 3gs motherboard chip into my current iPhone 3g so that it runs as fast as the 3gs. I'm not sure if everything would be compatible or even fit?! Any ideas I haven't seen it asked before and I would do it if someone said it was possible that would be so cool thanks

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Can I put the iPhone 3gs motherboard chip into my current iPhone 3g so that it runs as fast as the 3gs. I'm not sure if everything would be compatible or even fit?! Any ideas I haven't seen it asked before and I would do it if someone said it was possible that would be so cool thanks

Why would you want to do this????? :confused::confused:

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
technically i would assume its possible, but its probably a pain in the ass to do and the battery in the 3G wasnt made to support the more advanced hardware

evrock3600

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
I like tinkering and upgrading things on my own and I don't want to upgrade to the 3gs cuz I don't want to renue my contract another two years and if it's
cheaper to do it myself than upgrade to the new phone i'd have fun doing it...id even be willing to live with less battery life since I just replaced the original one last week and I'm gettin more than enough batt...does
the motherboard on the 3gs have all the same screw locations and dimensions

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You would have no warranty and no support from Apple or AT&T, and when AT&T sees that you have a different IMEI than originally, and that the IMEI is of an iPhone 3GS and that you didn't actually buy an iPhone 3GS, your contract would be extended, anyway.

evrock3600

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Would AT&T actually find out that the imei number is differnt I'm not familiar with what they are or do really

t4ggs

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
This thread was last active almost 2 years ago. Don't you think if the OP had success he would have posted about it?:rolleyes:

even if not succeeded he would have posted...no???
I think he might have been abducted by aliens

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No, it won't. The dock connector's flex cable will not fit for certain - I tried it. It's a minimal difference, and so other cables might behave.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Still amazes me threads like this can be found. but nobody can find the simplest threads. How do I jailbreak/unlock such in such or can I sync to Itunes after I jailbreak. :rolleyes:

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
even if not succeeded he would have posted...no???

Not after he discovered what almost everyone else knew. This is an incredibly stupid idea.

Still amazes me threads like this can be found. but nobody can find the simplest threads. How do I jailbreak/unlock such in such or can I sync to Itunes after I jailbreak. :rolleyes:

There's something almost everyone who starts such a new thread about a tired old topic has in common. Yes, they are lazy. Yes, they want someone else to do their work for them. But that's not what almost everyone of them has in common.

t4ggs

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
I did it

Ok, So I did it and it worked

I Open the 3G and the 3GS

Put inside the 3G Case the Battery, the MB and the Antenna with the USB connector from the 3GS.

t4ggs

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
Pics or it didn't happen.
what exactly do you want me to photograph
when opened you can tell the mb and the antenna are from a 3gs but how would u know that the case and the rest are from a 3g

ahh I also used the 3gs screen

in short, everything its a 3gs but the case and the buttons and audio jack

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
This is not possible. Although the form factor is similar for the most part, the connectors and cables and such are not compatible.

t4ggs

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
This is not possible. Although the form factor is similar for the most part, the connectors and cables and such are not compatible.

whatever dude
I did it and its working
if anyone wants pictures tell me what exactly you want me to photograph and i'll gladly do it.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
whatever dude
I did it and its working
if anyone wants pictures tell me what exactly you want me to photograph and i'll gladly do it.

I'm not going to argue with you about this. You may have taken 3Gs guts and shoved the whole damn thing into a 3G which might work, but the parts are not compatible with each other. ie: 3G screen with 3Gs logic board.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
You say you are not going to argue then you say your points. Doesn't make sense.

What this guy claims he did doesn't make any sense. I'm just stating fact, and if that's a problem then you probably should leave the forum. Try mixing 3G and 3Gs parts. It's not gonna work and you'll end up with a paperweight. Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.