Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ferrarofilms

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Before I purchase it I need answers to some questions:
1-Can an external hard drive be used with in conjunction it?
2-If so, does it need to be connected to it by USB or can it be connected to the computer.
Thanks in advance

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
2-If so, does it need to be connected to it by USB or can it be connected to the computer.
Thanks in advance

Are you going to hack it? If so, yes. You have a choice.

1. Plug an external right into it.
2. Access an external somewhere on your network.

No hack? NO

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Thanks in advance

Yes, you need a so-called Patchstick to hack your ATV. You can then use an external uSB drive either additionally to the internal drive or you can use it instead of the internal drive (to sync with iTunes)

Shuttleworth

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
UK
Yes, you can keep all your files on a USB drive which is connected to your computer, either directly or via an AirPort Extreme/Time Capsule. These files then stream to the :apple:TV via iTunes running on the computer, so for it to work, the computer must be on, but you don't need to hack the :apple:TV to do it this way, it's how it's supposed to work.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
The next question should be 'what kind of files?' if they are not iTunes supported then you will need to hack it.

Or, of course, convert the files. This is a good point, as the OP should be aware that the :apple:TV is fairly specific about the file types and resolutions that are supported (without hacking). See the 'Video formats supported' section here.

Regarding the external HD, I can cast another vote for using the external hooked up to your computer. Without hacking, your content can be stored wherever you want, as long it's included in your iTunes library (you should know that the contents of your iTunes library do not have to be consolidated, meaning they don't have to be stored all in one place), and can be read and streamed fast enough to support the necessary data rate for viewing. My entire iTunes library is on an external HD connected to my computer, and it works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.